Can't receive internet from my ethernet cable, steady orange light

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-10 10:28:21
Model: TL-WR820N  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

My router started experiencing frequent down time and suddenly stopped working. Power cable and LAN ports are all fine. but the WAN port seems not to be receiving any internet from the Ethernet cable. When i plug the Ethernet cable direct to my laptop, there is internet but when i plug it to the tp-link router, there is no internet. the router has a steady (not blinking) orange light . Your help would be much appreciated.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Can't receive internet from my ethernet cable, steady orange light
2021-04-12 03:26:29

@Ahtila 

Can we confirm who is your ISP, and what is the WAN connection type on the WR820N?

How did the connection recover, do you need to restart the router, or unplug the Ethernet cable from the WAN port then plug it back in?

Please login to the router web interface page to check if there is a WAN IP address when the internet LED is orange, send us the screenshot. If there is still a WAN IP address and gateway when the internet if off before you manually restart the router, please try to change the DNS server on the router to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 under Advanced -> Network -> Internet, where you can find the Primary DNS and secondary DNS, then monitor again.

Options
2021-04-12 08:46:04

@Kevin_Z 

How do I check my ISP ? Before the router went down completely it used to recover by itself, I never unplugged anything or switch anything off. After it went, I then unplugged everything, did a reset with the button at the back of the router but nothing happened. 

Options
2021-04-12 09:23:30

@Ahtila 

Can you confirm the info we asked in the previous reply? What is the WAN connection type on the WR820N, and if there is still an WAN IP address on the web page when the internet disconnects? Try the suggestions to see if it helps.

BTW, when did you purchase the router? Please check its hardware by looking at the device bottom label, where is a sticker, then ensure it is running the latest firmware. If it is not, update the firmware, then reset the router to factory defaults, reconfigure it from scratch to check again:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2339/

Options
2021-04-15 07:30:51

@Kevin_Z 

The only information about that I could get is WAN MAC Address: 60-32-B1-0B-EC-7F. Under the network tab i couldn't see the WAN button like before. i am attaching Screenshots of my dashboard which i hope can make me get help. But its like WAN port doesn't exist in router. I also checked for the firmware upgrade on the website but it isn't available. I did check for my device on website under product section and i was surprised they don't have a router with this name WR820N.

Options
2021-04-16 03:49:50

@Ahtila 

Which TP-Link official website were you trying to visit to? Please show us the link, we will check and update.

WAN=Internet on your router web GUI, you can click on Advanced > Network > Internet, then you will find the WAN connection type, choose the correct connection type given by your ISP, who provide you the internet, then confirm if you can get a correct WAN IP address. Then please show us the screenshot of the Advanced > Status page.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 670

Replies: 5