M9 slow since recent firmware updates

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-11 01:35:21
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 build 20120126 rel 62679

Since the last firmware update my IOT devices are super slow to connect. I notice this with my Logitech harmony hub, ring doorbell and Sonos speakers. 

Is anyone else experiencing this performance degradation since upgrading firmware? 

Pretty confident this is a tplink issue. If I connect devices to the ISP router directly all delay issues go away. Been running for 2 years or more without this issue. 

examples: 

harmony slow to respond to power on/off 

Sonos slow to start playing any music from XM, internet radio and my own content on local NAS

wemo devices going offline daily requiring reboot to connect to wifi

ring big delay in doorbell ring, sending notifications, and takes several attempts to view video recorders or live stream

wireless devices tablets (Samsung, Apple) laptops all losing connectivity requiring reauthentication daily

No changes to wiring or placement of devices. Two M9's connected via CAT6, primary directly connected to ISP equipment, second directly connected to first M9. 

Options
5 Reply
Re:M9 slow since recent firmware updates
2021-04-11 13:18:38
Options
2021-04-12 02:05:57

@TWPS 

Hi, thanks for your feedback.

For your case, I would like to collect some information and forward your case to the senior engineers for further help:

1. Can I have a picture of the network topology of your Deco system?

2. Did Deco work on the access point or wireless router mode?

3. Did turning off the fast roaming as well as the beamforming on the Deco make any difference?

4. If possible, would turning off the 5ghz on the Deco help a little bit;

5. Please also turn off the Mesh technology of the smart home devices on the Deco APP;

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-04-12 14:57:31

@TP-Link answers inline below. To note, this setup has been in place for over 2 years and just recently (after the last firmware upgrade) did all of these issues start. If I connect all of these devices to the ISP's wifi router directly there is no connectivity delay. 

1. Can I have a picture of the network topology of your Deco system?

Fibre ISP router -> Deco M9(1) -> Deco M9(2) Directly connected with Cat6 cables 

Directly connected to Deco M9(2) is a Windows 10 PC

Deco M9(1) main floor, Deco M9(2) second level, ISP router basement

2. Did Deco work on the access point or wireless router mode?

Router mode (required as I use parental controls - reason for purchase)

3. Did turning off the fast roaming as well as the beamforming on the Deco make any difference?

I do not use fast roaming as some devices on my network do not work with this technology. Beamforming is enabled, disbaling does not cause any changes. 

4. If possible, would turning off the 5ghz on the Deco help a little bit;

This does not make a difference

5. Please also turn off the Mesh technology of the smart home devices on the Deco APP;

Mesh technology is not used at all

Options
2021-04-13 03:30:18

@TWPS 

Thank you very much and I have forwarded your case to the senior engineers.

Please have a check of your email box.

Options
2021-04-18 17:30:27

@TP-Link 

I'm pretty sure this is a channel issue. The Deco M9's are using the most congested channels in my neighbourhood. I ran network optimization from the deco app and used a wifi channel scanner. There are many empty channels, but the most congested are picked up and used by the deco devices. 

Aren't these devices supposed to pick the least used channel???

Some of my devices are reporting the channel is saturated and quality is fair. They also recommend a different wifi channel be used. 

How do I change the wifi channel? I want to use the channels not in use and saturated. 

The ISP router uses channel that are not in use by others and I suspect this is why devices work well. 

Options