C4000 random rebooting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

C4000 random rebooting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
C4000 random rebooting
C4000 random rebooting
2021-04-12 21:06:06
Model: Archer C4000  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 - 20190827 - 78773(5553)

Hello all,

Recently been experiencing random router reboots more frequently within the last few months.

The only way I can really tell is my NVR and T-Stat go offline and I get a message about my cameras (SMS) and my t-stat does not auto re-join the wifi.

Have other been experienceing this issue with the C4000?

Any remediation steps needed?

Going out on a limb here and guessing the firmware that is in it is the last one that will be pushed out?

Any input is helpful.

Thanks, from Sacramento CA

Options
5 Reply
Re:C4000 random rebooting
2021-04-13 06:03:59

@d-lux 

Hello, thanks for reporting the issue, but please provide some details about the auto-reboot issue then we will try to investigate and offer a solution ASAP.
1. When the router restarts, are all the LEDs turn off then on automatically and the internet on it will temporarily down then recover? How long does this process take?
2. May I have your network layout, how is the C4000 connected to your network? Are there any other range extenders or switch in the network? If yes, try to remove it first and confirm again.
3. Who is your ISP and what kind of modem are you using? Is it a Dynamic IP setup on the C4000 WAN or PPPoE?
4. How many devices are connected to C4000, wired, and wirelessly? What are they? Is there any new device connected to the C4000 network recently when the C4000 begins to reboot? Or did you upgrade the router firmware recently?
5. Is there any other setting or feature in your network that may cause this restart issue, or is there any special operation/activity in your network that causes the C4000 to restart, such as high loading or real-time calls?
6. Is it the original power adapter on the C4000? Is the power stable in your house? How about other electrical devices in your house, are they stable?
7. Try to reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure it from scratch to confirm again.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-04-13 12:35:12 - last edited 2021-04-13 12:39:43

@Kevin_Z 

Hello and thanks for the reply -- Here are some answers to your questions -- 

1. When the router restarts, are all the LEDs turn off then on automatically and the internet on it will temporarily down then recover? How long does this process take?

I have yet to "catch it in the act", I can only see the messages in the log that it is rebooting and that my NVR and t-stat go offline. I can't gauge the time it takes being I am typically not watching it during the reboot cycle it does.

2. May I have your network layout, how is the C4000 connected to your network? Are there any other range extenders or switch in the network? If yes, try to remove it first and confirm again.

I have the topology somewhat like this - wan -> cable modem -> c4000 -> From here i do have 2x 5 Port L2 switches.

3. Who is your ISP and what kind of modem are you using? Is it a Dynamic IP setup on the C4000 WAN or PPPoE?

Xfinity/Comcast is my provider. I have a Netgear CM700 modem and I believe my speed should be 300Mbps and setup with a Dynamic IP although I have my PC mac cloned.

4. How many devices are connected to C4000, wired, and wirelessly? What are they? Is there any new device connected to the C4000 network recently when the C4000 begins to reboot? Or did you upgrade the router firmware recently?

There is roughly 20 devices on my network. Hardwired -> 2x Dekstop PCs, Lexmark Printer, Samsung TV (hardwire), NAS, NVR, 1x POE Injector, PS5. Wireless -> T-stat, Samsung tablet, Chromebook, Android Phone, 2x iPhone, 2x Nintendo Switches, Samsung TV (wireless), Roku device, gargage opener, 1x smart plug and alexa device.

Most these items are static and don't change that often unless we are coming and going from our house. Firmware has not been updated since last release which I believe was over a year ago atleast.

5. Is there any other setting or feature in your network that may cause this restart issue, or is there any special operation/activity in your network that causes the C4000 to restart, such as high loading or real-time calls?

I am unsure on this, although the little guys do play fornite with eachother daily, although that has been going on for several months now. The reboot issue has really stemmed recently and happens roughly 1-2 times a week.

6. Is it the original power adapter on the C4000? Is the power stable in your house? How about other electrical devices in your house, are they stable?

Original power cord/wall wart. As far as I know, the power in my house is fine? I don't see anything else having power issues.

7. Try to reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure it from scratch to confirm again.

Interesting. My settings haven't changed in a very long time. I guess it would be easy to try being mostly the device is "basic" config besides vpn and port forwarding.

Options
2021-04-14 01:29:34

@d-lux 

Thank you very much for all the detailed info. May we confirm again when did you purchase the router?

If the reset and reconfiguration don't help with the reboot issue, it is suggested to contact the local tech support to confirm if it is still in warranty:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/contact-technical-support/#Hotline-Support

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-04-14 02:00:50

@Kevin_Z 

Hi again.

Unfortunately I don't have a receipt and it has been well over 2 years now.

I bought it at Frys and that company is now "no longer".

I guess I am SOL?

I will still try the manual rebuild, but I won't hold my breath.

Thanks for the replies.

Options
2021-04-14 06:22:18

@d-lux 

That's not good.sad

Please try to optimize your wireless network, for the devices with small traffic, please connect them to the 2.4G network, like smart devices; for the devices with high traffic, please connect them to the 5G-1/5G-2 wireless network, like the smartphone/PC/TV, etc.

Feel the router top and bottom, how about the temperature? If it is what the environment should be, that should be normal. Ensure you put the router in a well-ventilated location or mount it vertically on a stand that permits the free flow of air, and use a fan to cool the router, a regular fan or USB fan is fine. As long as the router is not placed in an enclosed area then it should be fine. You can also try to set the Wi-Fi Transmit Power to low (if the setting is currently set to high), and see if this helps.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 422

Replies: 5

Related Articles