RE550 Range Extender Mesh Network combination with Archer AX6000, network problems when browsing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

RE550 Range Extender Mesh Network combination with Archer AX6000, network problems when browsing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-12 22:57:45 - last edited 2021-04-13 08:31:13
Model: RE500  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.4 Build 210201 Rel.75669n (6985)

Dear community 

First of all I wasn't able to select the correct model for this topic, for some reason the RE550 range extender isn't included in the list.

Now the problem for this topic.

At the moment I am running an Archer AX6000 Router (Hardware version 1) with the latest firmware 1.2.1 Build 20210205 rel.12759.
This latest version added the mesh features. So I decided to buy the RE550 Wi-Fi extender which is a mesh compatible extender and would be a perfect combo with the router to extend the network a little more on the second floor. 

Now that I am using this setup and some of my devices on the second floor are connecting with the range extender.
The network behaves very strangely. After surfing the internet for a while, a lot of sites suddenly stop loading (or very slow for 30 % loaded and stops), mobile applications are also getting stuck and keep loading infinitely .

When I for example unplug the extender and my devices are reconnected automatically with the main router down stairs everything loads perfect and there are no problems.
This problem occurs very randomly and can sometimes pass after 5 minutes back to normal or may last until the extender is unplugged and devices are reconnected with the main router. 

In my first configuration I didn't turn on smart connect, so I still could use the separated 2,4 and 5 GHz Wi-Fi networks and when the problem continued to occur I could switch to the 2,4ghz network band and everything worked fine again when connected to the extender, reconnecting with the 5Ghz  didn't fix the problem , sites kept loading and loading.

After some reading I found out that most mesh network configurations uses the “smart connect” feature, so I tried to turn that on for the main router so all my devices are dynamically allocate to the correct and best Wi-Fi band, the problem kept even happening after this configuration.
I tried also changing the DNS server to the one form Google, rebooting router, enabling and disabling mesh.

The configuration at this moment:  I configured the extender to be added as the mesh extender for the router and turned on the mesh and smart connect functionality for both router and extender. On the extender I am currently not running the DHCP since this is active on the main router.
The range extender has a static IP on the network and uses Google DNS. 

I would really appreciate if anyone knows more about this problem, has already seen it or has a solution to fix the problem.

Kind regards shadowbutton

Options
7 Reply
Re:RE550 Range Extender Mesh Network combination with Archer AX6000, network problems when browsing
2021-04-16 02:03:26

@Shadowbutton Good day, 

Thank you for your detailed post!  From your description, it looks like the issue is on RE's 5Ghz. 

As 5Ghz Wi-Fi range is shorter than 2.4Ghz due to 5G's high frequency, it is possible RE did not receive strong 5Ghz signal from main router and stop responding.

Please test at RE's location on second floor, do you have stable 5Ghz Wi-Fi from main router (when RE is unplugged). 

If unplug the range extender, how many Wi-Fi bars of main router's 5Ghz WiFi at RE's location?  RE normally need at least 2-3 bars to work stably.

For test purpose, it is recommended to turn off 'smart connect' on router, and set up different SSIDs for Re's 2Ghz and 5Ghz (RE also use different SSID from main router ).

Please double check if the issue only happen on RE's 5Ghz wifi signal?

How about the Led status on RE when this issue happen? If possible, please login to Web page-- Settings-- system log, save the log and send the log file of RE to us, many thanks.

Options
Re:RE550 Range Extender Mesh Network combination with Archer AX6000, network problems when browsing
2021-04-16 23:12:08 - last edited 2021-04-16 23:13:08

@Solla-topee  Thanks for your response.

The most options you suggested in your posts where the first things I tried before switching over to smart connect and the same network names for the Wifi bands.

The connection status for 2,4g and 5g are at max, the tp-link tether mobile app also points out that the location placement is perfect for the extender.

If I unplug the extender most of my devices are getting a higher network speed (Mbps/sec) on the router (which is 260 Mbps without extender and with only 100 Mbps) + a stable connection with no infinity loading when browsing the internet on lesser connectity bars with a desktops or mobile device. 

When I bought the extender I also bought a second one for outside during the summer (same model) , I unpackt that unit yesterday and tried it to be sure it's not a production flaw one the first extender because these problems make no sense with this setup. 

At this moment the network stability and the speed are normal on the second extender (on the same: settings, model, firmware, location , tests, router, internet provider, devices).
I am gone give it one more or two day's because I hadn't the time to test alot today.

Should the problem return and also appears on the second extender I tend to send them both back and look for an alternative. If the second extender keeps performing well and only the first extender continues to cause problems. Then it must be a factory error for that device I suspect I don't see any other reason why it wouldn't function correctly.

Greetings shadowbutton

Options
2021-04-20 02:33:40 - last edited 2021-04-21 01:48:23

@Shadowbutton Hello, 

Thank you for your update. You could set different SSIDs for router 2Ghz and 5Ghz bands with 'smart connect' off. You mentioned switching to 2.4Ghz worked fine so we'd like to know if the problem happens on certain band or both Wi-Fi bands.  

Normally RE extender speed is slower than main router's WiFi as the extender get speed from router first then forward to your PC or clients, this communication is one- way only at a time, RE's speed will decrease in this transmission. 

A test email has been sent to you with Forum ID 260954 ,if you'd like to do some further troubleshooting we will escalate case, please feel free to let us know on that email, thank you.

Options
2021-04-20 07:51:35

@Solla-topee 

Since yesterday the problem has returned, but now on the 2nd extender I started testing a few days ago.

Out of the blue, certain applications on my company laptop no longer wanted to connect. I then tried to simulate it on my mobile device while connected to the WIFI. Again, the network hung until I unplugged the extender and everything started working again.

After hesitating for a long while and resetting everything multiple times. I Have decided to return the 2 extenders to the seller (Amazon.de). It just can't be right that these extenders are so unstable. I've never had this problem before with TP-link products. I had hoped with the mesh technologies combining the router with those extenders I could create a stable network to cover the house completely but if the network get's stuck for no reason, something is really wrong with these devices ...

I tried to set it again to different SSIDs without smart connect and the problem seems now arises on both SSIDs (device dependent) , ( for example: device A  should suddenly work switching to 2,4Ghz after the network gets stuck and when switching device B to 2,4Ghz it still could not load everything correctly (only after pulling the plug ) 

It all started yesterday with MS Teams, during the day when it would no longer connect while on the local network. After rebooting, reconnecting the laptop the same problem persisted. I switched to my mobile phone where the same problem occurred, I went on 4G and everything loaded again.  As soon as I unplugged the extender the problems were resolved for both devices on the local network.

For some reason, the extender continues to cause problems. I don't think it is distance related as the router and extender are not very far apart and the problems occur very randomly.

You have to understand at a time when working from home and a stable internet connection is essential, that I simply cannot rely on these devices.

Another possibility is that the problem is not with the extender but with the router. But it is difficult for me to buy an extra router for only testing out this problem.

Greetz 
Shadowubutton

Options
2021-04-21 01:30:28

@Shadowbutton Hello, 

Thank you for your update, if all the LEDs are still ON on RE550 when issue happens, you could turn on RE's DHCP as the photo attached. 

I see you have replied the test email, I will escalate your case to seniors for a check before your return the device. 

Options
2021-04-21 07:49:21

@Solla-topee 

The led lights are always up and blue.

I tried already with DHCP auto, on and off, tried Google DNS , Cloud Flare DNS , my own DNS server, setting up a short ip range at the end all the same result unfortunately.

Yes indeed I was contacted by someone from TP-Link technical support directly.

Kind regards

Shadowbutton

Options
2021-04-22 12:55:05

@Shadowbutton Thanks for your update, you case has been escalated and you could reply to the email with Forum ID ' 260954  ' ~

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1156

Replies: 7