[New Firmware] Onemesh firmware for Archer AX11000

[New Firmware] Onemesh firmware for Archer AX11000

217 Reply
Re:[New Firmware] Onemesh firmware for Archer AX11000
2021-06-01 04:39:55

@Kevin_Z I need some help. I have applied the beta firmware and download and upload speeds went down significantly through Wi-Fi. Speeds are at peak level when connected to the router over Ethernet cable. I would like to downgrade to latest stable version as soon as possible. I downloaded the stable version abd tried to upgrade and it's failed with error message "unable to upgrade".

Can you please help me in downgrading the firmware from beta to stable please?

Options
2021-06-01 05:21:00 - last edited 2021-06-01 05:24:23

@Kevin_Z hi there, not sure if this is the correct location but I've been trying multiple different routers for my situation. I have had the Archer AX11000 router for about a year now and the number of iOT devices I have is increasing. For example I currently have ~15 Google speaker devices and ~50+ total WiFi devices. Lately I am losing connectivity constantly (specifically with the smart speakers). Anyone else have this issue? When I tried the Netgear Orbi it seemed to work better but I ultimately returned that as it's not customizable like the Archer AX11000 is. I'm a bit confused though because the Orbi is only an AX4200 and this is an AX11000 router. I would have expected more bandwidth with the TP-Link. Also - FYI, I do have 1.2GBps from Comcast Xfinity. When I run a speed test through the tether app it shows less than 200MBps from my modem... I did just have a Xfinity tech out and confirmed I'm getting the full 1.2gigs out of my modem. Is there a bug in the current firmware release?? Sorry for the long message. Thanks, Nick

Options
2021-06-01 07:17:04

@AzSGenie 

Is the 5G speed dropping, or the 2.4G? Are there any range extenders connecting to the router via Onemesh? What if you disconnect it?

Please try to reset the router to factory defaults, then reconfigure it from scratch, confirm again if the issue persists. Please also confirm what is the speed before and after the update.

You can also try to disable the Smart Connect feature on the AX11000, then try to modify the wireless settings, such as channel and channel width, then check again if this helps.

Options
2021-06-01 07:27:25

@Ndaven021 

Does this issue happen recently? Was there any change in the network or with the AX11000 settings? 

How about other smart devices, such as the Kasa smart plugs, are they connecting stably to the network? 

Is there range extenders in the network? If there is Onemesh range extender, you can install the Onemesh beta firmware we provided on this thread, then reconfigure it to confirm.

Options
2021-06-01 07:38:06

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin,

I opened a new support ticket regarding firmware downgrade request. I have already tried resetting the device to factory defaults and the reconfigured it basic information. However, the firmware didn't downgrade to factory defaults or to the last stable version.

Wi-Fi speeds are strangely random. I tried disabling smart connect and observed that 5Ghz speed is very slow. I also reset the 605X extender and reconfigured it with AX11000 as mesh and experienced very slow speeds. I use 605X primary to get the Ethernet port out in my work room and the router is in living room which is one wall away).

I have 1GBps fiber internet and ISP supplied modem provides ~950 Mbps download and ~900 Mbps upload. I have configured the AX11000 to ISP model as pass through mode.

Approximate speeds: (Over Wi-Fi 6) (Used Galaxy S20 and Surface Laptop 4)

• With last stable firmware release (no mesh support): ~750 Mbps download and ~620 Mbps upload
  • With latest beta firmware release (with mesh support by adding 605X extender): ~620 to 710 Mbps download and ~520 Mbps upload

Approximate speeds: (Over Ethernet cable) (Surface Laptop 4)

• With last stable firmware release (no mesh support): ~850 Mbps download and ~710 Mbps upload
  • With latest beta firmware release (with mesh support by adding 605X extender): ~810 to 830 Mbps download and ~650 to 750 Mbps upload

In my case, upgrading to new firmware caused 10 to 15% drop in Wi-Fi and 30% drop in Wi-Fi when I connected 605X extender in mesh configuration. I get fantastic speed with Ethernet cable. That confirms to me that there is a problem with Wi-Fi in the new firmware.

I don't think enabling mesh useful for me. So, I would like to go back to last stable version for stable speeds.

Options
2021-06-01 07:49:27

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin the issue is with both RE505X extenders. There appears to be a conflict in the links causing huge drop outs or downturn in network speeds.  

Remove both extenders from the network and connect to the AX11000 directly and the speed and stability pick up to 40Mbps.

If I setup the extender as an extender the old way the network is stable but the range is poor. The RE505X can barely throw a signal more than 4 meters without slowing down to a dismal pace.

The issue is the extenders in my opinion I've asked for backhaul on RE505X for testing as this seems to be the only solution otherwise the hardware is completely redundant and I'm past the point of returning the units as unfit for purpose.

Options
2021-06-01 09:40:35

@AzSGenie 

Thanks. We would like to escalate your case to our engineers, and they will help follow it up, please check your inbox and respond.

Options
2021-06-01 11:34:57 - last edited 2021-06-01 11:35:44

Hi @Scott79 and all those following our saga

After a whole week of testing with two RE550 (AC) range extenders in OneMesh, I can agree with you fully: the RE505X has horrible range and cannot connect stably to the AX11000, hence the dropouts.

I have communicated my findings to Technical Support and, for now, I do not intend to get into any additional testing - the AX11000 plus two RE550s work fantastically well for me, no 2.4 GHz drops. And no Tether disconnects.

PS I know, I had to spend nearly 100 pounds on the RE550s (a completely unplanned expense), however this has been worth it in that I have a stable and quite speedy network.

PS2 I can't return the RE505Xs either, I'll keep them in the hope of there being a firmware update which will make them useful.

Options
2021-06-01 13:15:33 - last edited 2021-06-01 18:21:49

@Kevin_Z Hi again. Thanks for the quick reply.

This has been an ongoing issue. I've factory reset the devices (the router and my Google homes) multiple times and still no improvement. There are no extenders on the network either. I'm willing to bet it's a Google software issue as I have plenty of other smart devices with no issue. But of course when I reach out to Google - they point the finger at tp-link... I recently just turned off all of the antivirus software on my router and things seem to be a bit more stable. Any additional insight would be much appreciated.

In regards to my speed test via tether... I've never gotten above 200MBps. Again, I've had two Xfinity techs out here and used other router to confirm I'm truly getting above 1.2gbps download. Any ideas why the Archer AX11000 never shows above 200mbps? I attached a screenshot of my completed speedtests. This issue has been ongoing since I bought it roughly a year ago (i.e. the last couple public firmware versions). I've hard reset the router, tried using my PC via Ethernet/web browser, and of course I've tried using the tether app via my iPhone 12pro. Nothing seems to improve the speed test. 

Lastly, everytime I try to link my router to my TP-Link ID I get the below error. Any idea why this is?

Options
2021-06-02 05:50:45

@Ndaven021 

Please monitor the Google homes connectivity, and report back if there is still an issue.

As for the speedtest on the web GUI, have you ever enabled the QoS setting on the router? Refer to the below article to check and disable it, then confirm:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/3069/

BTW, have you tested the speed on a client device, what is the actual speed you can get? If the speed is normal, I guess there might be inaccurate on the built-in speedtest on the router, as it may connect to a server that is not good for your network.

You can try to change the Internet DNS servers on the AX11000 to something like 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, then confirm if you can link to the TP-Link cloud.

Options
Related Articles