How to add wired devices to a user profile?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-17 06:51:23
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V8
Firmware Version:

Hi, I'm trying to restrict my child's access to various websites. I can detect his laptop through wi-fi but when the laptop is connected via a wired connected (to to an M9 with ethernet backhaul) the device doesn't seem to appear at all in the online clients on my network. That means I can't add it to his profile and restrict usage. I have the MAC address for teh ethernet adapter in teh laptop but there is no way to search for that MAC address either - at least I don't think there is.

Please help!

thanks

Richard

Options
2 Reply
Re:How to add wired devices to a user profile?
2021-04-17 13:44:36 - last edited 2021-04-17 21:09:48

@Simbakirk 

I have Deco M9s, my devices wired to Decos all appear in the list of online clients. I believe this is the issue you must target first: why don't you see wired laptop in that list.

Check if laptop does connect through the Ethernet cable. For that, disable WiFi on laptop: if it has WiFi USB adapter - pull it out, if it has integrated WiFi network card - make laptop Forget SSID of Deco WiFi network through Windows WiFi settings.

Before connecting laptop by Ethernet cable, confirm it does not have Internet connection.

After laptop is connected by Ethernet cable - if it regained Internet connection, give it a minute or two and see if laptop appeared in Deco app.

If it did not, open command prompt on laptop and check laptop IP address by running ipconfig /all 

Share screenshot of ipconfig /all output, or just type in reply parts of that output that matter for troubleshooting, which are:

This example is taken from my desktop connected to M9 Deco by Ethernet cable.

Options
Re:How to add wired devices to a user profile?
2021-04-20 08:04:24

@Simbakirk 

Hi, did you still have the same issue that the wired laptop failed to be displayed as the online client?

By the way, is your model number Deco M5 or M9 plus?

Thank you very much.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 412

Replies: 2