Router keeps restarting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Router keeps restarting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Router keeps restarting
Router keeps restarting
2021-04-21 11:23:27 - last edited 2022-06-23 06:13:35
Model: Archer A9  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: 1.0.6 Build 20200114 rel.73164(4555)

Hello all,

I tried to contact TP-Link support a few weeks ago but no answer so far. I have the following issue:

A week ago my router started to restart random times. (I had a factory reset before due to moving I had to reconfigure everything, but I don't think it's related)

What I have tried:

- restart

- factory reset

- reinstall the newest firmware

Nothing have helped. After fooling around I managed to reproduce the issue by starting a speed test over WiFi (I tried from iPhone and android tablet, both speed test caused the router to restart).

After this and more fooling around I figured that if I turn off the WMM feature for 2.4Ghz WiFi (even though my devices connect via 5Ghz) I can run the speed test without problem but the router still restarts every now and then (once a day or so...)

After reading more forums I found that some people's problem got solved by changing the Wi-Fi channel to manual and mode from 802.11b/g/n mixed, but it seems like I don't have such option to do so.

So I would have the following questions:
- Has anyone encountered and managed to solve this kind of issue?
- Is there any way to change the Wi-Fi channel to manual and mode from 802.11b/g/n mixed with the newest firmware?

- If anyone would have idea to try out? Would be appreciated.

Installing 3rd party firmware would probably solve the issue but I don't want to unless it's necessary.

Thank you for the help! :)

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Router keeps restarting-Solution
2021-04-26 07:32:43 - last edited 2021-04-26 07:32:47

@Kevin_Z 

Hello,

I checked the adapter and as it turned out apparently I mixed it up with the TP Link switch's adapter (9V/0.6A, should be 12V/1.5A), which explains everything. I checked several times the adapter but only if it's TP Link, never imagined that I used the wrong one... So it's on me sorry about that. 

Anyhow I'm pretty sure it was the reason, thank you for your help.

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-07-19 05:53:58 - last edited 2021-07-19 05:54:06

@WE_9D4DF0 

Do you encounter a similar issue with your TP-Link device? If yes, please follow the suggestions we updated here to check if the issue can be resolved:

[Troubleshooting] Router keeps rebooting randomly?

Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
Re:Router keeps restarting
2021-04-22 10:26:01

@S0ad 

Few additions:

- I tried to change all the network cables does not help

- There are several other devices in this socket so that should not be the problem

- Provider is Digi (in EU) there is a router/modem from them, but that is in bridge mode (so my router connects to the internet directly not theirs, also it's web interface is not reachable, it's on "bypass" mode)

I'm not sure if it's overheating (does not feel hot just warm), if it's firmware issue or the router is faulty. I still have warranty on it.

Thank you.

Options
2021-04-23 06:57:40

@S0ad 

Will the router still restart if you connect the phone or tablet to the 2.4G network?

How did you distinguish the router restarts, are all the LEDs turn off then on automatically and the internet on it will temporarily down then recover? How long does this process take?

Is it a Dynamic IP setup on the A9 or PPPoE?

How many devices are connected to the router, wired, and wirelessly? What are they? What if you reduce the numbers? You may try to optimize your wireless network, for the devices with small traffic, please connect them to the 2.4G network, like smart devices; for the devices with high traffic, please connect them to the 5G wireless network, like the smartphone/PC/TV, etc.

You can also modify the wireless settings as per the below instructions:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2215/

Options
2021-04-23 12:19:39 - last edited 2021-04-23 12:25:52

@Kevin_Z 

Hey Kevin_Z,

Please see below:
- "How did you distinguish the router restarts, are all the LEDs turn off then on automatically and the internet on it will temporarily down then recover? How long does this process take?" Just like you described all LEDs go off, power LED starts to blink, then all comes back, and the routers connects back to the internet. It takes 2 mins to reboot and connect back to the internet.

- "Is it a Dynamic IP setup on the A9 or PPPoE?" PPPoE

- "How many devices are connected to the router, wired, and wirelessly? What are they? What if you reduce the numbers? You may try to optimize your wireless network, for the devices with small traffic, please connect them to the 2.4G network, like smart devices; for the devices with high traffic, please connect them to the 5G wireless network, like the smartphone/PC/TV, etc." Wired: PC, smart TV, Synology NAS. Wireless: Just my notebook(I use it only for work) phone and sometimes the tablet. The router restarts even if only the phone is connected only and I start the speedtest. I don't know if I should bother optimizing here, as there is no high bandwidth over WiFi. I could not change the channel mode as "Smart Connect" was turned on, my fault sorry about that. :D

Now I can see the mode and channels, did a few tests by starting speedtest on my phone (note: sometimes the router restarted even when I was changing settings):

802.11b/g/n mixed - 802.11a/n/ac mixed
- High transmit power 5Ghz: restart
- High transmit power 2.4Ghz: no restart ( I don't want to switch to 2.4Ghz for obvious reasons)
- Medium transmit power 5Ghz: restart (didn't see the point to test with 2.4 Ghz)
- Low transmit power 5Ghz: no restart

802.11b/g/n mixed - 802.11n/ac mixed

802.11g/n mixed - 802.11a/n/ac mixed

If you want I can continue these tests, but I only had so much time. Also I'm not sure if it's good for the router. ;) 
I will keep the low transmit power for now with smart connect turned on as it seems to be stable. I have no idea what could cause the restarts (software related, overheating(device is not hot just warm) or interference with other WiFi, but I would need a reason for it or if I should have this RMAd with warranty, I think I still have 1 year left of it.

Thank you for your time and help!

Options
2021-04-25 02:17:52

@S0ad 

The issue sounds quite interesting, to try to figure it out, we would like to escalate your case to our engineers, they will follow it up via email. Please check your inbox and respond.

Options
2021-04-26 07:32:43 - last edited 2021-04-26 07:32:47

@Kevin_Z 

Hello,

I checked the adapter and as it turned out apparently I mixed it up with the TP Link switch's adapter (9V/0.6A, should be 12V/1.5A), which explains everything. I checked several times the adapter but only if it's TP Link, never imagined that I used the wrong one... So it's on me sorry about that. 

Anyhow I'm pretty sure it was the reason, thank you for your help.

Best Regards

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-05-08 15:04:30 - last edited 2021-05-11 12:43:41

Hey guys,

i am using tp-link Archer C5 v4 Gigabit router from Sept 2019, all of a sudden my router is restarting by it self, and its annoying while attending meetings and doing work

what i tried to do is set bandwidth control to limit data usage, i doubt this bandwidth control is doing something for the router causing it to restart

things i have tried

1. Resetting router and restoring settings

2. Checking the adapter and its voltage using multi meter

3. Called ISP and they said everything is ok from their side(ACT Fiber Bangalore)

can any one please advise? how do i solve this problem, proceed further.

https://nox.tips/
Options
2021-05-09 12:59:35

@davidbrok1 

I would try the usual things (if the whole router restarts):

- Try to plug it into another socket

- Check if there is any newer firmware, or reinstall the current one

- Try to reproduce the issue. If it was running without any problem for a year or so, what has changed? New device added? Try to exclude it.

- Try to narrow it down. Try to decrease the connected devices. Or check if it still restarts when only cabled/wireless devices are connecting.

- Try to change the cables

Unfortunately it works like this, you need to spend time with it to find where the issue is then it will be easier to find the solution.

Options
2021-05-24 06:38:38
There are plenty of ways to find the issue.
Options
2021-06-22 12:33:34

S0ad wrote

Hello all,

I tried to contact TP-Link support a few weeks ago but no answer so far. I have the following issue:

A week ago my router started to restart random times. (I had a factory reset before due to moving I had to reconfigure everything, but I don't think it's related)

What I have tried:

- restart

- factory reset

- reinstall the newest firmware

Nothing have helped. After fooling around I managed to reproduce the issue by starting a speed test over WiFi (I tried from iPhone and android tablet, both speed test caused the router to restart).

After this and more fooling around I figured that if I turn off the WMM feature for 2.4Ghz WiFi (even though my devices connect via 5Ghz) I can run the speed test without problem but the router still restarts every now and then (once a day or so...)

After reading more forums I found that some people's problem got solved by changing the Wi-Fi channel to manual and mode from 802.11b/g/n mixed, but it seems like I don't have such option to do so.

So I would have the following questions:
- Has anyone encountered and managed to solve this kind of issue?
- Is there any way to change the Wi-Fi channel to manual and mode from 802.11b/g/n mixed with the newest firmware?

- If anyone would have idea to try out? Would be appreciated.

Installing 3rd party firmware would probably solve the issue but I don't want to unless it's necessary.

Thank you for the help! :)

@S0ad 

Options
2021-06-22 12:35:21
Not help
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3940

Replies: 11

Related Articles