What can I do if my Router keeps Rebooting randomly?

2021-07-19 03:00:02 - last edited 2023-12-15 02:12:12

This Article Applies to:

TP-Link Routers

Background:

Going through the community, we found some customers sporadically reporting that the router randomly reboots itself. Some customers resolved the auto-reboot issue by replacing the power adapter, some got it fixed by updating router firmware, some got it resolved by modifying router settings, etc. This article aims to provide some basic suggestions for the issue.

Issue Description/Phenomenon:

When a router is rebooting itself or restarting, all the LEDs will flash automatically, it seems the router is just starting up. This may occur randomly or periodically, the internet will stop on all the client devices that connect to the router, wired and wirelessly when the router reboots itself, and it may take 2-5 minutes, then the internet is back to normal.

Troubleshooting Suggestions:

1. Check and confirm if there is a Reboot Schedule on the router, try to disable it if it is enabled.

Here we take the web GUI of the Archer AX10 for an example, you can find the Reboot Schedule under Advanced > System > Reboot as follows:

2. Ensure the power supply is stable in the house, and other devices are working stably all the time.

3. Put the router in a well-ventilated location or mount it vertically on a stand that permits the free flow of air, check the below guide to put the router in a proper location:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2606/

4. Be sure you are using the power adapter that came with the router.

5. Try to reset the router to the default factory following the FAQ.

6. Upgrade the router firmware to the latest. You can follow the guide: How to Upgrade the Firmware on the TP-Link Wi-Fi Routers?

If the router still reboots itself after checking all the above, it is suggested to comment below and be sure to provide the following information:

1. Model number, hardware, and firmware version of your TP-Link Router.

2. How many devices are connected to the router, wired, and wirelessly? 

3. Is there any other setting or feature in your network that may cause this restart issue, or is there any special operation/activity in your network that causes the router to restart?

4. Does this issue happen when you purchased the router, or does it happen after running properly for some time?

5. Take and send a video recording of the router restarting process, especially the LED status.

Related Articles:

Archer C80v1&v2.2/C64v1/C6v4 Restarting Randomly

Archer AX73 V2 might reboot automatically when working together with some Range Extenders

Options
80 Reply
Re:[Troubleshooting] Router keeps rebooting randomly?
2021-07-20 08:57:40 - last edited 2021-07-20 08:59:39

@Kevin_Z  I was able to resolve the issue by switching off the IPV6 in router settings.

Options
2021-07-20 09:26:14

@Shahbaz1520 

I remember your router is an Archer C6 V2, right? Can we know who is your ISP? Does your ISP provide a IPv6 connection for you? We will keep an eye on this kind of feedback, and remind our engineers of the IPv6 setup.

Options
2021-07-26 14:49:06

@Kevin_Z 

I have recently bought an Archer C6 v3.20 router for my business purpose. Bought exactly 1 month ago through Flipkart. Before buying I made long research and found this "restart issue posted by many people across the world". Though I believed that I won't face the issue. Unfortunately, today 26-07-2021, the device started rebooting multiple times for no reason.

For your information, 

1. Reboot Setup - Disabled or not-active

2. Power is stable - as we are using a servo stabilizer for EB

3. Router is hanged on a wall in the hall (Well ventilated) - Physical checked and found no traces of heavy heat.

4. Power adaptor used if from the manufacturer (It means you)

5. Router reset two times

6. Firmware Latest Version  1.0.10 Build 20210513 rel.63256

It means all your suggestions were followed but no results. After a long discussion and online search, I was finally asked to note down the logs. In the logs, I saw a report stated as "[6105]  Clear All Stats because time changed".

May be this can help you find a fix. 

With Regards,

Myilraj G

Options
2021-07-26 15:37:52

@Kevin_Z 

After an hour, the device re-started two times and this time, the log report is really strange. The time went back to 13-05-2015 00:00 and after suddenly it restarted with timestamp 26-07-2021. Attaching the screenshot for your reference.

Options
2021-07-27 05:03:26

@Rafat 

It seems that @Kevin_Z  is responsive as I saw his reply in so many threads. Based on this, I have posted my query yesterday. Will see whether if I am getting solution.

Options
2021-07-27 08:18:04

@Myilraj  @Rafat 

Is the power adapter 12 V ⎓ 1 A or 12 V ⎓ 1.5 A? Can we have a picure of it?

Options
2021-07-28 05:48:14

@Kevin_Z 

Find the image for your reference...

Options
2021-08-10 01:27:04

@Rafat 

We have reported the issue to the support engineers, they will likely reach out to you via email to continue to troubleshoot your issue.

Options
2021-08-10 05:58:20

Dear Sir, 

I have recently bought an Archer C6 v3.20 router for my home from  Amazon on 28 Jul 2021. The device started rebooting multiple times for no reason.

Following  step have been taken 

1. Reboot Setup - Disabled or not-active

2. Power is stable - as it is connected to inverter.

3. Router is hanged on a wall in the hall (Well ventilated) - Physical checked and found no traces of heavy heat.

4. Power adaptor used if from the manufacturer (It means you)

5. Router reset two times

6. Firmware Latest Version  1.0.10 Build 20210513 rel.63256.

Request for solution asap

Thanking you 

Manoj Kumar Mohanty 

Options
2021-08-11 05:26:33

@Manoj_Boi 

Hi, we just found you have contacted the TP-Link support via email, please check and discuss the issue directly, and the support engineers will help figure it out.

Options

Information

Helpful: 12

Views: 22577

Replies: 80

Related Articles