Router mode + IPTV

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Router mode + IPTV

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Router mode + IPTV
Router mode + IPTV
2021-04-21 15:28:45
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

The config I have on my mind consists of 3 Decos, a modem and a Switch, the Decos set in Router mode.

As I understand, I have to set my modem in Bridge mode (to avoid double NAT), connected to Main Deco port 1, Main Deco port 2 connected to a Switch, and from there I have the other 2 Decos connected with Ethernet backhaul, as well as a ton of other Ethernet devices.

I'm looking to upgrade my internet connection to a faster internet with IPTV, and the Deco's manual says that the 2nd port of the Main Deco can (and will only) be used for the IPTV service. This leaves me with just one port on the main Deco, that connects it to the modem, and no way to connect the main Deco with the rest of my LAN (the Switch) and the other Decos with Ethernet connection. What's the workaround if we have IPTV?

The only thing that came to my mind is to get another Deco, have it next to the main Deco to connect wirelessly and connect this new Deco to my Switch that distributes the internet to the rest of my house as well as to the other 2 wired Decos, but this sounds nasty. 

Another solution that came to my mind is that IPTV could be set on the 2nd port of a secondary Deco and not on my main Deco, but I don't know if that is physically possible.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Router mode + IPTV
2021-04-22 03:19:06

@topouzid 

Hi, Did you choose the wrong model?

Since I checked under your TP-Link, there are 3* Deco M5 under your profile.

If it is Deco M5, the current firmware supported IPTV on the satellite Deco units.

For more details, please have a look at this link:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2421/

PS: for the user manual, can I have a link of it and maybe we can check whether it is needed to be updated;

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-04-22 07:21:40

@TP-Link Thank you for your reply.

As you correctly found, I currently have 3 M5s but I'm considering on buying an X20 to set as my Main Deco because I think it could have better routing capabilities (maybe faster processor or larger buffer). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I read in the FAQ that an M5 as a MAIN allows IPTV/VLAN to use a satellite M5's port. Does it work if the MAIN is the X20 and the satellites are the M5s? (I use Ethernet backhaul between all my DECOs).

About your question for the manual, on X20's manual it says that the 2nd port of the Main Deco can only be used for the IPTV.

https://static.tp-link.com/2021/202103/20210303/1910012855_Deco%20X20&X60&W3600_UG_V1.pdf

Page 21, 3rd image: "Note: When IPTV is configured, the other port of main Deco can be used to support IPTV service and can only be used for this service."

Options
2021-04-23 03:21:12

@topouzid 

Hi, currently, Deco with firmware 1.5.0 and above will support selecting IPTV port on satellite Deco, such as Deco M5, M9 plus as well as Deco X60 V1/V2 and Deco X20 V1/V1.2; the V2 of Deco X20 might still need a while;

For this feature, it required all Deco units in the Mesh are supported selecting IPTV port on satellite Deco;

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-07-09 07:43:53

@TP-Link 

Hi, I bought a Deco HC4 2 pack.

The firmware on my Deco HC4 is 1.4.1. 

Can the satellite unit be configured to connect with Singtel TV set-up box?

My DECO main unit is located near the Singtel ONR, but my TV is located quite far, so unable to connect the Singtel TV box to the main Deco by LAN.

I thought buying a mesh system will solve the problem, as I could connect the Singtel TV box to a Deco satellite unit by LAN but I couldn't get it to work.

Thanks in advance.

Options
2021-07-12 08:16:58

@aces68 

Hi,

For the non-ISP customized mode, the IPTV on satellite Deco has not been added on the firmware 1.4.1;

Since your mode Deco HC4 is a Singtel customized mode, it is suggested that you could have a check with the internet service provider as well;

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 513

Replies: 5

Related Articles