Very slow wifispeed on Archer c7 v5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-26 20:58:28
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.1.2 build 20210125

I have just bought an archer c7 v5 and installed it through the quick setup.

I have fiber network in my apartment of 1 gbps/1000mbps. The speed is fine through cable but when i test my wifi, both on the 2.4 GHz and the 5GHz, the wifi speed is only around 100 mbps.

I have seached all around the internet for a solution and can seem that others have the same problem, but it seems that no one has found a solution.

I am starting to get very frustrated and almost wish i have never bought the damn router.

Please help me!

Options
5 Reply
Re:Very slow wifispeed on Archer c7 v5
2021-04-26 21:13:15
u can try go back to the previous firmware, also u can try vary the 5g wifi channel setting and protocol try just ac, than without etc, could be around using the same channel creating lot of interference noise, therefore its slow, however max what i got from c7 v5 it was between 300 to 400 Mbps 10m was 200ish.
Options
2021-04-27 03:53:39

@Phansn 

If the speed is normal when you connect the computer to the router with cable directly, that means the router negotiates with your ISP line fine. We can focus on the Wi-Fi part.

Which device are you testing the 2.4G and 5G speed? What is the link speed on it? You can check it as this:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2265/

If the link speed is not as good as expected, you can refer to albione's suggestion to modify the wireless settings on the router, but we also want to remind you that you may check the Wi-Fi card on the computer, to see if its driver is outdated, try to install the latest driver for it, then confirm again.

As for the wireless modification, you can run a Wi-Fi analyzer, review all the surrounding channel, then choose one that with less interference with others, choose 40MHz for the 2.4G, and 80MHz for the 5G, security can be WPA2-PSK, AES, then reboot the router, and reconnect to the network to confirm.

Options
2021-04-27 05:09:24
How do I go back to the previous firmware?
Options
2021-04-27 06:13:09

@Phansn   look at this forum post ...    How to recovery the router when you bricked it?   https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/81462

Options
2022-01-29 20:25:11

@Kevin_Z 

From my research 2.4G slow connections is a historic TP-link problem. I switched to this router because my last one AC-1200 developed a problem of forgetting my 5g connecting, which usually could be fixed by power cycling the router from the admin page, but sometimes I had to do more extreme measures. Then I got the C7V5. I've had mostly flawless 5G, but the 2.4G was never near what it was on the prior, lesser model.

After about 6 months 2.4G became very unstable beyond 15 feet, causing problems with smart lights. So I did the firmware upgrade 1.2.0 Build 20211210 rel.51212(5553) which made on difference. As I have various devices to test on, this is neither a device issue, an interference issue, nor a channel issue. Oh yeah, I borrowed another router to eliminate the interference possibility.

I imagine that if TP-link isn't interested in admiting there is a problem, while they will lose customers who've had 2 defective routers in a row, they also could acknowledge the problem, offer a solution --such as replace with a model that doesn't have this issue-- and build, rather than erode their reputation. That reputation is also getting stained with the awareness that they are a Chinese run company with a stipulation in the fine print that gives them access to all activity over your router. Yikes!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4468

Replies: 5

Related Articles