Main deco appears in ap mode with ethernet backhaul

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-27 06:48:18
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

According to the topology graph give by tp-link, ap mode with ethernet backhaul should not be having main deco, but it appears with a main deco in my deco app, and it is the signal source for all my others deco. I have 7 decos, 3 are M9, 4 are M4R. However, in the advanced menu, the operation mode is shown as ap, when i enter the operation mode options, the operation mode shows as router. nat, parental control function is also not available. It make me confuse about the actual operating mode it's using. I would like to know in this case, what is my actual operating mode?or is it normal to be like this?

Options
6 Reply
Re:Main deco appears in ap mode with ethernet backhaul
2021-04-27 08:16:25 - last edited 2021-04-28 01:00:39

@Lmao 

Hi, I tested on my side yesterday and no matter which mode it was, when I opened it, it was always on the default router mode;

Update:

Apparently, I left the Deco P7 for the whole night and check again this morning if access point mode is chosen, it would display access point;

I guess the status might be delayed for a little bit;

I will check again to confirm the correct status;

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-04-27 14:18:58 - last edited 2021-04-27 14:25:54

@TP-Link 

His was long post, but one item there is not correct, if it is how he described it.

He opens Advanced section in Deco app, it says there Operation Mode: Access Point.

He drills down, by selecting Operation Mode, and next screen says it is Router mode:

This can't be correct, and it is not how it is with my Deco app. My Deco app says Access Point mode on both screens. These two screens are supposed to be consistent.

PS. I don't know if it is relevant or not, but wording in my Deco app is slightly different from what he shares in his, perhaps different app version? For example, his says Router (Default) and mine says Wireless Router (Recommended).

Options
2021-04-28 01:14:52

@Alexandre. 

Hi, My APP 2.7.4 on iPhone SE IOS 14.5 showed router(Default)as well, instead of the wireless router, what's your App version and mobile phone?

I think I was wrong yesterday since I tested it again just now, it showed access point chosen on the operating mode page but I did not know why it was not like this yesterdaysad;

@Lmao Hi, if you were able to reproduce the same issue, please go to Deco APP>overview>help>contact us>suggestions and send us the APP system log;

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-04-28 10:53:57 - last edited 2021-04-28 10:55:15

@TP-Link 

I've sent the suggestion through the app, thanks.

I still have a question which is the main deco thing, as said above I use ap mode with Ethernet back haul, but according to the topology graph given by tplink, there shouldn't be any deco act as the main deco. Is there any problem with it? FYI, the app shows that for all deco, the main deco is their signal source connected through ethernet. My topology is router(from isp)--- switch----- 7 decos.

Options
2021-04-28 11:45:17

TP-Link wrote

@Alexandre. 

Hi, My APP 2.7.4 on iPhone SE IOS 14.5 showed router(Default)as well, instead of the wireless router, what's your App version and mobile phone?

@TP-Link 

I am using Deco app 2.7.9 on Android smartphone. 

Options
2021-04-28 11:51:23

Lmao wrote

I still have a question which is the main deco thing, as said above I use ap mode with Ethernet back haul, but according to the topology graph given by tplink, there shouldn't be any deco act as the main deco. 

@Lmao 

Do you have link to that "topology graph?" Something must be wrong with it, or you misunderstood. 

There is deco unit labeled "Main Deco" when Deco mesh runs in Access Point mode. All Deco units running in AP mode connected by Ethernet will show Main Deco as signal source, but it does not necessarily mean their networking traffic goes through Main Deco.

Options