Archer C4000, Virgin Media, Speed Tests

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-29 09:13:41
Model: Archer C4000  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20191026 rel.13901

I have a C4000 that is plugged into Virgin Media Hub 3 on modem mode. It all worked swimmingly well, until I got a new Dell XPS 15 9500.....

The new laptop speeds where atrocious, and after much experimentation (Dell "support" were not supportive....) I discovered uninstalling the Killer network app got my speeds back up. Never has a piece of software been so correctly named.

However, I now have as issue with the speedtest results I get from the C4000 tether app.

Here is the result when tested on my Android phone using the speedtest app, getting what I pay for;

And here is the result via the TP Link app;

What's going on here?!

Options
4 Reply
Re:Archer C4000, Virgin Media, Speed Tests
2021-04-30 06:43:43

@Dekenba  Is the QoS setting on the C4000 correct? You can check this article to confirm it:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/257504

If this cannot be optimized, you are suggested to reset the C4000 to factory defaults, reconfigure it from scratch, don't touch any advanced settings on the web, then check the speedtest results again.

Options
2021-04-30 09:43:41

@Kevin_Z  Thanks for the advice.

Yes, I've already switched off all the QoS options on the Archer. The Killer app (superbly appropriately named - I assume their next software will be called "crap" or something) was basically mostly QoS as well, hence when I uninstalled it.

Just to give you an idea of how all over the place the speedtest on the router is, here's one I did in the dead of last night:

I got excited that it was all working out.....but then here's one I just did:

The acid test was switching off the Archer C4000 & placing the Virgin Hub back into router mode temporarily, and I was hitting wifi speeds of over 500Mbps solidly, at least close to the Hub 3.

Switched it all back around again, and the now Archer controlled speeds plummeted.

It's most frustrating!

I'll try the factory reset on the Archer. If that fails, I'll just have to unplug the Archer and use the much criticized Hub 3 for wifi. However poor people think it is, if it's beating the Archer C4000 by 400% in speeds, I'd be stupid to not use it. Shame about the money I spent on the Archer, though, but there's always EBay.

Options
2021-04-30 10:12:05

@Dekenba I've reset the Archer C4000 settings, set it up from scratch, ignored QoS - and I'm back to square one, with the Speedtest app showing speeds of almost 500Mbps, yet the Speedtest app built into the tether app maxing out at....111Mbps?!

It's all very frustrating. I'm sure that there are a lot of Virgin Hub 3's in modem mode, attached to Archer routers - does everybody get this problem, or am I unique? Quick Google suggests its fairly well know problem, but it seems to be one without a solution. And having to switch QoS off on the Archer kinda takes away one of the reasons for buying it.

Might be time for a Netgear Nighthawk. A quick search seems to offer far less instances of problems linking it up to Virgin's fibre based Hub 3.

Wish me luck!

Options
2021-05-06 08:57:35

@Dekenba 

Actually, if you can get almost full speed when you use the Speedtest app on your phone, that is the actual speed you can get. The Tether speedtest may not accurate as we cannot choose the speedtest servers, but we will report this to the engineers, and ask them to further analyze it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 626

Replies: 4

Related Articles