Deco APP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco APP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco APP
Deco APP
2021-05-06 14:34:28

I install these devices for a living and have installed at least a dozen M5 Mesh systems for client. For the most part it goes very smooth. However, TPLink Deco 5 APP has a very big problem when the client has a combo modem/Router.

In this case you cannot create a network and you need to change the operation mode to Access Point. But you can't do that until the M5 is online with the the Modem/Router.

What is worse, the M5 retains the SSID it acquired when the mandatory network was set up. This defeats the purpose of creating an access point: No need to reset all devices with new SSID and passwords.  

So, IMO, here is what should change:   At the point where the App now insists that you create a network it should offer the Operational Mode choice. Once in Access Point mode all else gets easy. 

I have too many extra hours fighting this issue.  If anyone has any influence on the TP-Link software guys please forward this request.

Ken Wood

Camarillo CA

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco APP
2021-05-06 20:23:41 - last edited 2021-05-06 20:24:21

@kaosken 

Ken,

I am trying to understand how did you hit these problems and I did not. I have ISP modem/router. I have installed Deco mesh at my house, and since the beginning my plan was to have Deco mesh run in Access Point mode. My Main Deco is M9, but it should not be that different from M5. 

After I finished initial setup of Main Node, including software upgrade, I have disabled WiFi on my ISP router, then changed Deco Main Network SSID/password to what my ISP router had.

By default, Main Deco started in Router mode, but I switched it to Access Point mode in Deco app, before changing SSID. 

All WiFi devices automatically reconnected, I now have WiFi mesh running with same SSID/password I used to have on ISP router.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 358

Replies: 1

Related Articles