What is x90 max internet speed in AP mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-09 09:14:35 - last edited 2021-05-09 15:09:01
Model: Deco X90  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

As in the subject line: What is x90 max internet speed in AP mode? Is this the same as in the router mode, or only half of the router mode?

I am asking this question because I have Deco M9 plus, use it in AP mode, and while testing internet speed I get only up to 500Mbps instead of the expected 1Gbps. The 1Gbps is attainable but only in router mode.

I am considering replacing my M9 with X90, but I am not going to do that if it behaves the same way. Hence the question.

PS: Corrected title: initially there was "in router mode" which was the opposite of what I actually ask about

Options
6 Reply
Re:What is x90 max internet speed in router mode
2021-05-09 13:27:26

@pirrus 

May I ask how do you check Internet speed on M9 plus?

I have Main Deco M9 Plus running in AP mode, when I use "Test Internet Speed" in Deco app I am never getting more than 550Mbps. Yet, when I connect computer to second port of same Main Deco M9 plus, on computer I am getting almost gigabit. I suspect there may be an issue with how Deco runs its speed test.

Options
Re:What is x90 max internet speed in AP mode
2021-05-09 15:21:06

@Alexandre. 

You experience exactly what I do. In AP mode my speedtest in the Deco app never goes higher than 500 to 550Mbps download, but I am in a position to expect at least 900Mpbs, as I have 1Gbps FTTH service. However, when I try the same with the M9 plus configured in router mode, I get 900Mbps and more.

This is the same what others reported on this forum too, but I can't  find that thread now (search engine here is a bit crappy or I am too stupid to use it properly).

So again, TP-LINK team: I am ready to throw that M9 away and get the X90 in place of that, but first I need to confirm that it does not have a similar "feature", eventually.

Options
2021-05-09 15:36:40

@pirrus 

You do realize it is just a reporting problem by one of apps inside Main Deco unit, with M9 actually delivering more than 540Mbps, right? When I do speed tests on smartphone connected to M9 I am getting top results close to 650Mbps, which is quite good for WiFi5. Whatever is wired to M9 gets gigabit.

Yes, I do recall that thread you mentioned, too, and I haven't bookmarked it either.

A solution for me is just to ignore "Test Internet Speed" in Deco app for Internet connections exceeding 500Mbps. 

I'll tell you what: X90 is way better than M9 (and you know that), but who cares what "Test Internet Speed" reports in Deco app for X90 - what important is result of speed test on device connected to X90 by WiFi6.

Options
2021-05-10 01:52:30

@pirrus 

Hi,

Deco  X90 would share the same speed on both wireless router and access point mode;

Except what Alex said, there is one thing added:  Deco X90 no longer uses HomeCare, Homesheild instead so that there would be no ‘speedtest option’ anymore;

https://www.tp-link.com/en/homeshield/

Thank you.

Options
2021-05-10 15:09:13

@TP-Link 

What do you mean by HomeCare or Homesheild? Are they different icarnations of that Deco management mobile app?

Options
2021-05-11 01:57:55

@pirrus 

Hi, they are two types of home security systems all based on the Deco APP;

There are some detailed information about these two security systems for your reference:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/homecare/

https://www.tp-link.com/en/homeshield/

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 943

Replies: 6

Related Articles