DecoM5 and multiple Access Points

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-25 06:33:32
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.5.3

Firstly I have a bone to pick with TP-Link regarding this Deco series, This is a great product for any first-timer that doesn't know much about setting up the routers and access point etc., but it lacks expert functions and features, e.g., the web app doesn't contain features such as configuring more than 2 SSID's. You cannot set the signal strength for each of the device. there is no config that can be done from the web page and everything has to be done through the application. It lacks so many feature sets that are available in basic routers, more so from TP-Link themselves.

I purchased 4 of these, because I loved the idea of having only connecting to 1 SSID throughout the house and not thinking of changing them when switching between rooms, although my apartment is not that big (only 1300 sq ft) but I wanted 1 in each room to have 100% signal strength everywhere (except for the kitchen), Right now I have 1 in my Office acting as my main deco (router mode) and the rest of them are connected to the main one via ethernet through a switch.

I have the Guest network enabled along with my primary network, but I am in need of an additional network for my home automation system which I would like in all scenarios to be kept on a separate network or VLAN than my Primary and Guest SSIDs. I've looked high and low but I cannot find any setting anywhere to enable the 3rd SSID and I don't really know why this is a limitation?

So my question is, If I purchase a router that can do multiple SSIDs (other than 2) e.g. Mikrotik or Ubiquiti which have no problems in doing this. Can I then use the Deco in Access Point Mode to broadcast all the SSIDs or is this such a shitty product that will not work at all for this scenario and I need to replace it something better?

Options
5 Reply
Re:DecoM5 and multiple Access Points
2021-05-25 07:25:58

@aasimenator 

Hi, there is a workaround for your reference:

Since you have 4 of Deco M5, we could consider taking one M5 out and create another mesh system with a different SSID;

Then switch operating mode to access point;

So now, you will have 3*Deco M5 on wireless router mode with 2 SSIDs(Primary and Guest SSID), one Deco on access point with the 3rd SSID;

PS: How to add a new Deco network through Deco app

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2295/

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-05-25 14:26:12

TP-Link wrote

@aasimenator 

Hi, there is a workaround for your reference:

Since you have 4 of Deco M5, we could consider taking one M5 out and create another mesh system with a different SSID;

Then switch operating mode to access point;

So now, you will have 3*Deco M5 on wireless router mode with 2 SSIDs(Primary and Guest SSID), one Deco on access point with the 3rd SSID;

PS: How to add a new Deco network through Deco app

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2295/

Thank you very much.

Hi, thank you for the suggestion, but with the 1 x Deco on the separate network cover the entire house and all the smart home devices in it? I highly doubt it. I think I have around 30 of them at the moment, because I don't think it would at least not give 100% full signal strength to all devices, below is a basic layout of my house, deco placement and smart devices.

Options
2021-05-25 15:38:11

aasimenator wrote

Firstly I have a bone to pick with TP-Link regarding this Deco series, This is a great product for any first-timer that doesn't know much about setting up the routers and access point etc., but it lacks expert functions and features, e.g., the web app doesn't contain features such as configuring more than 2 SSID's. You cannot set the signal strength for each of the device. there is no config that can be done from the web page and everything has to be done through the application. 

@aasimenator 

Every product has its target audience. 

I've looked high and low but I cannot find any setting anywhere to enable the 3rd SSID and I don't really know why this is a limitation?

Every product has its limitations, usually tailored for its target audience.

So my question is, If I purchase a router that can do multiple SSIDs (other than 2) - can I then use the Deco in Access Point Mode to broadcast all the SSIDs? 

Household WiFi mesh systems create their own WiFi network, they do not rebroadcast WiFi signal and SSIDs from router.

Do I need to replace it with something better?

If product does not work for you, yes. As a general rule.

Specifically for WiFi mesh, you will have to do a better research before buying your next WiFi mesh hardware, from a different brand. Not every WiFi mesh supports more than 2 SSIDs, you'll have to check documentation and maybe support forums if three or more SSIDs with all of them providing coverage all over the house is your hard requirement.

Options
2021-05-26 06:00:37 - last edited 2021-05-26 07:43:16

Alexandre. wrote

Every product has its target audience. 

Every product has its limitations, usually tailored for its target audience.

Household WiFi mesh systems create their own WiFi network, they do not rebroadcast WiFi signal and SSIDs from router.

If product does not work for you, yes. As a general rule.

@Alexandre. 

I did, the target audience is "whole home wifi" which is something that I want, vs the conventional multiple Access points in each room and manually switching over to them when switching rooms.

The specifications of the Deco M5 state that there is 1 x 5GHz Guest Network & 1 x 2.4GHz Guest Network, Now anyone with any sort of understanding of these would most likely assume that you can segregate your Guest networks based on that information i.e. have 1 Guest Network on 5GHz and the other Guest network on 2.4GHz which is what I assumed as well thinking the 5GHz would be for any Guests that come to my house and the 2.4GHz would be for all my Smart Home devices (as they normally don't work on 5GHz)

And here is proof that I am not wrong in assuming that 1 x 5GHz Guest Network & 1 x 2.4GHz Guest Network does mean that I can create 2 separate networks.

I have an older TP-Link Archer C1200 router that is an end of life now, it's product spec lists the same thing: 

But when I go into the router config page, I can not only segregate the 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi Network on the main Network but also do that in the Guest Network. Meaning I can have 4 separate SSID's 

So how was I wrong in assuming that the newer generation DECO Series of Mesh Routers, which costs 3 TIMES as much as the C1200 I have back from 2018 that lists exactly the same thing on the PRODUCT SPECIFICATION page would not have at least the same functionality as that of its older model.

Options
2021-05-26 14:26:59

@aasimenator 

"So how was I wrong in assuming that the newer generation DECO Series of Mesh Routers, which costs 3 TIMES as much as the C1200 I have back from 2018 that lists exactly the same thing on the PRODUCT SPECIFICATION page would not have at least the same functionality as that of its older model?"

You were not wrong in making that assumption, but at the end - Deco mesh does not have functionality you assumed it would have. That does not necessarily make Deco "such a shitty product," it simply makes it product that does not meet your expectations.

What we could ask TP-Link support is pass your post to Deco documentation writers and ask them, instead of cutting and pasting C1200 specs to Deco, better emphasize that Deco won't allow to split 5GHz and 2.4GHz SSID inside Main and inside Guest networks. That Deco mesh will provide (will broadcast) two SSIDs at most. 

I hope you do realize that this is the most we could get from the manufacturer. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1081

Replies: 5

Related Articles