M9 and P9- I can’t get P9 to connect via powerline

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-26 21:41:40
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

My main deco is 3x M9 around the house. I have a new garden office, so I bought 2x P9 to extend Mesh into Garden office, but P9's won't talk to each other with powerline, only weak WiFi and therefore signal not strong enough for Teams or Zoom meetings. Please advise how best to set up?

M9 upstairs

/

isp---superhub---M9 main--M9 hall

\
                                P9 living room ==P9 office

P9 office connecting only by WiFi to M9 hall.  I want it to connect to P9 living room by powerline.

thanks

Options
5 Reply
Re:M9 and P9- I can’t get P9 to connect via powerline
2021-05-27 10:50:36

@Simon159 

Hi,

Was the first P9 connected to Deco M9 via wi-fi or via Ethernet cable?

Can I have a picture of the signal source strengthen on the 2nd Deco P9?

I supposed the whole house is under the same electric meter, right?

If you put the 2nd P9 much closer to the 1st P9, would the PLC backhaul take effect?

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-05-27 21:13:52

@TP-Link 

TP-Link wrote

@Simon159 

Hi,

Was the first P9 connected to Deco M9 via wi-fi or via Ethernet cable?

Can I have a picture of the signal source strengthen on the 2nd Deco P9?

I supposed the whole house is under the same electric meter, right?

If you put the 2nd P9 much closer to the 1st P9, would the PLC backhaul take effect?

Thank you very much.

ISP connected to house by Fibreoptic cable (Virgin Media)

Router in room at front of house.  Connection is 218.8 Mbps Download tonight

Main Deco (M9) connected by ethernet cable to Router

Further Deco M9 in Dining Room and Bedroom connecting to M9 via wifi.  All updated to firmware 1.5.1.  

Dining Room signal source is Main Deco varies 9 Kbps to 0.16 Mbps Download. Distance approx 12m

Bedroom signal source is Dining Room M9 varies between 5Kbps and 0.32Mbbs Download (Upstairs)

I have Deco P9 in Kitchen and another Deco P9 in Garden Study

Kitchen signal source is Main Deco varies 2Kbps - 42Kpbs Download. Distance approx 15m

Study signal source is Kitchen varies 1Kbps - 87Kbps Distance 10m

There is only one electric meter.  The Garden Study is powered by cable for sitting room (hardwired).  This was original site of Deco P9 relocated to kitchen.

Still unable to persuade P9 units to PLC Backhaul. House walls made of cinder block and plaster.

Does this help?

Options
2021-05-28 01:40:31

@Simon159 

Hi, If  I got it correctly, the current network topology is like this(the map would also display on the web UI-network map):

Virgin Media superhub---M9 main--(12m)---M9 Dining hall(wifi backhaul)---M9 upstairs bedroom(wifi backhaul)

\
                                                   P9 kitchen(wifi backhaul)---(10m)--P9 Garden study office(wifi backhaul only, no PLC backhaul)

So After relocating the 1st P9 from the living room to the kitchen, the signal source of the 2nd P9 has changed to 1st P9; but the signal source is still on wireless backhaul only, no PLC backhaul;

The Previous topology is like this:

Virgin Media superhub---M9 main--(12m)---M9 Dining hall(wifi backhaul)---M9 upstairs bedroom(wifi backhaul)

\                                 \
                                              P9 living room              P9 Garden study office (wifi backhaul to M9 dining hall)

PS: If the PLC backhaul takes effect, the signal source should be like this:

Please feel free to let me know whether there is any mistake or not;

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-05-28 09:26:09

@TP-Link 

Almost correct.  In the previous topology, the P9 Living Room connected with M9 Dining Room.  Have not seen the signal source being PLC in the App.  Always shown with the wifi symbol, either blue or orange

Options
2021-05-31 07:29:33

@Simon159 

Thank you very much for the update.

I would like to follow up on your case by email and please have a check of your email box.

And In case there is something wrong with the Deco P9’s powerline backhaul feature, could you please put them into the same room and check the signal source again? 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 753

Replies: 5

Related Articles