Deco M4 - Connection Speed between two units?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-26 23:57:03

Basically I have a server (a RPi4, which is gigabit) that's connected to the M4 unit downstairs and if a computer is wired to the same M4 unit when I do an iperf test the speed is 1gbps, which is what I expect.

What I didn't expect was that my second M4 unit upstairs with a PC wired to it (which has a 2.5 gbps port!) only having a 200-250mbps connection to my server connected to the other M4. All parts of my set up are gigabit or better, heck even when I had the server upstairs on the same M4 unit as the PC with the 250mbps speed it was connecting at gigabit speed.

The only thing I can think of is that the wireless connection between the M4s is what's limiting my connection to the server, can anyone confirm this to me and save me hours of fruitless tweaking and testing?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco M4 - Connection Speed between two units?
2021-05-27 11:27:33

@Titkhra 

Hi, the current issue is that if the  RPi4 server and the client connected to the same Deco, the LAN access speed would be about 1gbps;

While if connecting to the different Deco units, the LAN access speed reduced to 200-250mbps, right?

Did you access the server on the local computer via LAN IP address?

Was the RPi4 server connected to the main Deco via Ethernet cable or by Wi-Fi?

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options
2021-05-27 15:01:00 - last edited 2021-05-27 15:07:52

@TP-Link Yeah, you've understood it correctly. Every device is connected to one of the M4 units via Cat6 or better ethernet cabling.

My understanding is because the M4s are AC1200 the max download speed they can produce wirelessly is around 220mbps from one device (5ghz), which is what my iperf test between devices on different M4 units was giving me. I was just unsure that this speed limit applied even if all devices apart from the two M4s were connected through ethernet.

Is there anything I can do to get my connection to the server on the other M4 unit any faster than this?

Options
2021-05-28 06:33:52

@Titkhra 

Thank you very much for the update.

I would like to forward your case to the senior engineers and at the same time, could you please help me check the following details:

1.As for the network topology, is it like:

ISP modem---main M4(wireless router mode)----network switches-- <cable>--laptop1 / RPi4 server

\---<Wi-Fi>----2nd M4---<cable>laptop2

Options
2021-05-28 19:32:11

@TP-Link So I had a minute and I mocked up a diagram of the set-up:

Options
2021-05-31 05:45:52 - last edited 2021-06-02 02:02:43

@Titkhra 

Thank you very much for the update.

After checking with the senior engineers, if the two LAN devices are connected to the same Deco, at this moment, Deco would be like an Ethernet cable connecting these two devices together.So the LAN connection speed would be around 1G/s;

When they connected to different Deco units, the LAN communication would also be forwarded via wireless backhaul between the Deco nodes and there would be some Speed attenuation; The desired LAN connection speed between different Deco units would be similar to the Ethernet speed from the satellite Deco units;

So connecting the satellite Deco unit via Ethernet cable to the main Deco would be the suggestions to fix the current speed issue;

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1011

Replies: 5

Related Articles