Xbox One stuck on 2.4GHz???

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-28 22:43:27
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.1

Hi

I've been having terrible network performance on my xbox, i checked the Deco app and noticed the xbox is on the 2.4 channel.

I cannot find a way to get the xbox to connect to the 5ghz channel?

It's within 2m of the node. Although seems to constantly want to connect to the node in the hallway.

any suggestions?

Thanks

Chris

Options
5 Reply
Re:Xbox One stuck on 2.4GHz???
2021-05-29 11:30:11 - last edited 2021-05-29 11:30:29

@crusty1 

Suggestions.

1. Connect Xbox and Deco node with Ethernet cable. That will improve Xbox network performance and gaming experience.

2. If Ethernet cable is not an option, turn off 2.4GHz on Main Network, in Deco app. That should fix both issues: Xbox connecting to 2.4GHz and Xbox not choosing the closest Deco node to connect to.

In case you have devices that only work with 2.4GHz, enable Guest Network with 2.4GHz, password protect it and make these devices connect to Guest network.

Options
2021-05-29 11:54:54
disabling 2.4 and then using the Guest network is really the only solution? For a system that costs so much money that's pretty shocking... I don't have an Ethernet port free in the node.
Options
2021-05-29 13:12:39 - last edited 2021-05-29 13:31:31

@crusty1 

Your disappointment is justified, but it should be directed at Microsoft, at least partially. It is Xbox that decides which WiFi mesh node to connect to. Also, when presented with both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands under same SSID, device can choose which band to connect to.

I am not familiar with Xbox networking configuration settings, check if Xbox has an option to force it to use 5GHz band only. Some networking devices let you choose the preferred band or the specific band to use.

Ethernet cable is always better solution for gaming systems, if available. You can get 5-port gigabit switch for less than USD20. Connect it to Deco Ethernet port and this will expand number of available ports on that node.

With just one caveat: if node near Xbox is Main node, and Deco mesh runs in Router mode, and you configured IPTV function on Deco for Main Node - adding networking switch to Main Node won't work. 

Options
2021-05-29 13:28:15
Thanks Alexandre, almost certain the xbox doesn't allow you to specify which band to use. I do have a switch connected to that node in my office (not main) but wanted to avoid running ethernet to the xbox as its not used as much any more. Wifi would be preferable. Looks like I will be buying a 5m cable.
Options
2021-06-01 06:28:03

@crusty1 

Hi, if possible, you could try to turn off the 2.4ghz on the main network and force the Xbox to connect the 5ghz, then turn off the Mesh technology on the Xbox;

After that, turn on the 2.4ghz back and check whether Xbox could stay on the 5ghz;

Thank you very much.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4908

Replies: 5

Related Articles