Deco Router mode unstable and it’s Starlink internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-06 16:18:52
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V19
Firmware Version:

Hi

i have been using deco network on router mode with sky internet input - I've swapped to Starlink now and it's proving unstable ... decos disconnect and connect seemingly at random with red flashing lights then back to green.

starlink is iv6 and 4 via dynamic ip and I've set deco to auto plus to stateless but no improvement 

Options
10 Reply
Re:Deco Router mode unstable and it’s Starlink internet
2021-06-07 11:18:08

@RobDeco 

Hi, Did the main Deco flash red as well, or just the satellite Deco units?

Have you done any firmware upgrade recently?

How did you restore the connection, like rebooting the deco or it would come back automatically?

How often did this issue start, like 3-4 times a day?

By the way, Did you have any startlink modem?--if yes, can I have its model?

Thank you.

Options
2021-06-08 13:06:52

@TP-Link 

Hi again

The snag started as soon as I transferred my internet provider from Sky to Starlink .... so assuming this may be relevant?

The Starlink internet service is via dynamic ip and supports v4 and v6.

in router mode the decos progressively start flashing red with occasional reconnections. I have had to revert to access point mode.

perhaps related to Starlink?

rob 

Options
2021-06-09 07:27:35

@RobDeco 

Hi, it is worth a try to check with Starlink first to see if there is something wrong from the ISp;

At the same time, you could also help me save the system log on the Deco M9 plus so that we can whether there is something useful;

And when I checked your TP-Link ID, it seemed like there are more than Deco M9 plus kit, also Deco M5, etc, so can I have a picture of your network diagram, such as:

By the way, Did the main Deco M9 plus connect to the Starlink directly without any fiber/cable modem?

--if there is, can I have the model number as well?

Options
2021-06-10 00:39:42 - last edited 2021-06-10 00:47:48

@RobDeco What is the current status of your situation?  TP-link been able to help you resolve it?

We switched from Xplornet to Starlink in February and have been using the DECO M9 Plus (latest software updated on June 07, 2021; connection is STARLINK ----> Deco -----> Netgear switch for additional plugins like Philips hue etc -----> Deco upstairs ----> Deco Garage).

Xplornet LTE, the internet was consistent though definitely too slow hence the reason we switched to Starlink as soon as the opportunity arose.

However, for the past 4-5 weeks the DECO M9 would constantly lose signal.

Each time I would try to reconnect using the app, then reboot thru app, finally reboot manually by pulling the plug.

Most times it wouldn't connect back on the 1st run but occasionally it would after a good 3-5 mins of waiting after rebooting thru the app.

However, everytime it failed to connect, I would swap back to the router provided with the Starlink to see if there's connection and starlink app status.  

Only once did it show unstable connection and the starlink app did state the system is down in our area.  However, once it was back online the process of connecting back was ridiculous though I could get it to connect on the Starlink router immediately.

Anyway, this is the 5th week and there was a power outage for a min or two. 

Sure enough everything else booted up including the Starlink but the router failed to connect back.  

So I swapped it for my previous TP-Link Archer just to see how stable it was. 

Set it all up and the speeds I'm getting is almost double with the Archer in comparison to the Deco M9 mesh.

1st I'm starting to realize that these DECOs need to backhauled to get similar speed as the Archer. 

However, the more frustrating news is the fact that I can't rely on the DECOs to stay connected and we paid a lot for the mesh to have stable connection to the garage which the Archer just can't reach due to the concrete walls.  It's forcing me to start looking at other brands even though we just bought this end of 2020.

To be honest, the whole neighborhood has signed up for Starlink though we were the 1st to get it and everyones asking which mesh/router do I suggest but I'm so frustrated with the lack of stability so I'm hesitant to even suggest the DECO.

Options
2021-06-10 02:35:01

@swiftygifty 

Hi,

I haven’t got the updated news from Rob and the issue is still suspending;

For your case, would the main Deco turn flashing red when it disconnected from Starlink?

--if yes, could you please help me check the IP settings on the Deco APP>More>advanced>IPV4;

How often did this issue start, like 4-5 times a day?

By the way, may I know the model number of the Archer router?

--And for Starlink, is there any fiber or satellite modem? If yes, can I have the model number?

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-06-10 13:06:15 - last edited 2021-06-10 15:48:27

@RobDeco 

Starlink is the new satellite Internet system by SpaceX. It is in beta stage, not complete, interruptions should be expected.

Deco switches LED to "solid red" when it can't connect to the Internet, or one of Deco internet health checks fails. When Internet health check is successful again, Deco reconnects on its own, LED goes back to "green." At least, it is my experience with running Deco mesh consisting of M9 Plus units.

Starlink is new system, there is not much experience dealing with it from general public, and even less from those with mesh systems.

My recommendation would be to set up the router provided with the Starlink, turn off WiFi on it, and connect Deco units to it in Access Point mode. That would give you tools to figure if it is, indeed, Deco that fails or Starlink has intermittent interruptions. 

Options
2021-06-10 13:20:28

@TP-Link 

Hi all

I'm strongly suspecting Starlink iSP as being the snag .... when I cut back to another ISP the decks do work in router mode.

so I will stick with AP mode for now 🙂

many thanks

Rob

Options
2021-06-10 14:23:40 - last edited 2021-06-10 14:31:02

@TP-Link 

It's the Archer C2300.  

The RED led on the DECO does not blink. Just constant RED when it can't connect.

I switched back to the DECO M9 as I needed the internet to reach the garage.  Fortunately it connected immediately but the speed is considerable slower than the Archer.  Is there anyway to improve the speed of the DECO M9 to Archer's level without back hauling it?

It's not often.  Maybe twice a week but when it happens it's difficult to connect back.

Starlink as the other member mentioned is a new ISP (High-speed, low latency broadband internet using low orbiting satellites.)  There's tons of info online on it as it's by SpaceX and most of all rural communities in North America will be moving to Starlink in the near future based on the numbers provided concerning demand.

Unfortunately it's in Beta testing.  However, the issue for me is that both the STARLINK router and the ARCHER C2300 connects back immediately with no issue and much higher speed than the DECO M9 so I can't just chalk it up to ISP issues.

The other question I wanted to ask is that if the using the NetGear N300 which is also a router but i'm only using it for the extra port as a switch, cause issues?  I haven't plugged anything into the WAN port.  Just the LAN ports.

Options
2022-01-21 08:42:30

You might have heard a lot of buzz about the Deco M5 router and its Starlink app recently. But it turns out that the Deco/Starlink combo may not be as solid as first thought. Tested earlier this month, Deco M5 router mode became unstable at the end of the week and it’s Starlink internet connection was also unstable.

The problem was reported by many customers and made Telkom South Africa issue an official statement on Facebook yesterday (29 January 2018) to explain what was happening.

Options
2022-01-21 16:15:14

@jacobhue Hi i'm not sure if that msg was intended for me but I have not heard of Deco M5.

However I've been following this site regularly for the best Starlink wifi 6 mesh routers: (https://starlinkrouterreviews.com/starlink-6g-mesh-router-reviews/)

Furthermore I think some of my issues were related to the NetGear N300 as I wasn't supposed to use it as a switch.  After I replaced it with a Desktop Gigabit Switch and the latest TP Link firmware, things have been a lot more stable.

Nevertheless, I'm going to pony up for the Netgear Orbi Mesh triband at some point.  The TP Link M9 mesh works well but the speed is almost half of what I can get. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 4951

Replies: 10