AX1800 Devices cannot communicate with each other over LAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-07 05:19:53 - last edited 2022-10-28 02:04:18
Model: Archer AX1800  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 Build 20210304 rel.16262(5553)

Got my AX1800 last week, and did not notice until today that several of my devices cannot communicate with each other across the LAN, though they could on old router (and still can during testing). All devices can get internet, and via the internet I can connect across the devices (Chrome Remote Desktop), they can all ping the router, ping from the router, and can ping certain devices on the LAN as well.

Router Info:

Firmware Version: 1.3.0 Build 20210304 rel.16262(5553)

Hardware Version: Archer AX20 v1.20

IP Address: 192.168.1.1

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

I have duplicated this with quite a few devices, various tablets, TVs, Alexa, ect, some other devices work while many do not, but for simplicity I am going to list 4 devices and their details:

PC 1: 192.168.1.15 (statically assigned IP, this is a media server I want to be able to connect to directly on all devices)

PC 2: 192.168.1.186 (DHCP, desktop computer)

PC 3: 192.168.1.217 (DHCP, desktop computer)

Cell Phone: 192.168.1.238 (DHCP, wireless only)

-PCs 1-3 cannot ping each other at all. All have internet, all can ping the router. The router can also ping them.

-PCs 1-3 are all wired devices, but I have tested 1 & 2 on wireless as well with no changes.

-I have changed the IP address on PCs 1 and 2 with no changes.

-PCs 1-3 can all ping the cell phone (and a few other wireless devices, though not all wireless devices on network). The cell phone can also ping the PCs.

-I have rebooted all devices in question, even the cell phone just to see if it stopped working, and including the router itself, but nothing has changed.

-Going through my modem from my ISP and using DHCP through there these devices can ping each other without any issues.

The most consistent thing I have found through my testing is which devices are affected, but while one Galaxy S21+ works another does not, even though both are on the same 5G network, all 3 wired devices are affected and about 3/4 of the wireless devices have the issue as well, so issue cannot be narrowed down to how the devices connect or what kind of device has the issue at all.

I've been going through the router config but not finding anything that would allow me to ping some devices across the LAN but not all. Any ideas? Any information I left out that would be helpful?

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:AX1800 Devices cannot communicate with each other over LAN-Solution
2021-06-08 07:33:18 - last edited 2021-06-09 06:43:46

Happy to report this issue is resolved.

Just incase someone has the same head scratcher as me later on and finds this thread (which is how I came to post on this forum in the first place)

Tech Support reached out to me and had me check if the computers in question were set to Private Network instead of Public Network. Quick instructions they gave me if anyone needs them are this:

1.  Please press Win + Q to open the search window on your computer and then enter Network Status.

2. Click the “Properties” of the network you are using currently.

3. You will see the type of “Network profile” of the network you are using currently.

In my case both the computers in question *were* already set to Private, but I played around in the settings and clicked "Configure firewall and security settings" underneath the Private selection, turned off the Private Network firewall on my media server (really the only thing that I want everything on the network to communicate with) and voila, everything can suddenly ping it. I'm going to play around with settings to try to make sure it is secured, but the answer is it was the firewall.

This is incredibly strange to me that it ended up fixing it for multiple reasons: The fact that some devices on my network could ping the PC with no issues at all even with the firewall on, and the fact that switching back to my old router I did not have this issue during testing even though this firewall setting did not change. I'd dig into this further, but I'm happy that my media server is again working across my network and once I get the Firewall configured properly I'll be happy to leave this one alone. I am fortunate in that I dont *need* the other devices to talk to each other, it was all part of trying to diagnose the issue that I was troubleshooting the entire network, but I imagine the phone, iPad, ect that I had similar issues with would end up having similar solutions.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-06-09 07:20:46 - last edited 2021-06-09 07:22:36

@Inc42  Thank you very much for sharing the solution with the community, it's glad to know that the engineers helped locate the issue, and the issue is resolved.

Just to notify, we also illustrate this kind of setting on a Windows computer in the below article, others who may encounter this issue can check:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/3072/

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:AX1800 Devices cannot communicate with each other over LAN
2021-06-07 07:37:54

@Inc42 

Can we confirm what is the detailed network layout, are there other extenders or switches in the network except for the ISP modem and the Archer AX20? 

Are all the PCs 1-3 connected to the AX20 directly? It is suggested to reset the AX20 to factory defaults, reconfigure it from scratch, don't import the config file, but configure it from fresh, then connect all the PCs back to the LAN ports, check again if they can ping each other.

As for the wireless devices, please ensure they all connected to the main 2.4G/5G network, but not connect to the guest network.

Options
2021-06-07 18:34:55

@Kevin_Z 

PCs 1 and 2 are generally connected via a switch before going to the router, however I have bypassed the switch with PC 1 to have it wired directly to the router, and as I previously mentioned, put both on the same WiFi network with no changes. PC 3 is always directly connected to the router.

The wireless devices are all on the main network, I have not even configured a guest network.

At your suggestion I went ahead and factory defaulted the AX20, configured only the WiFi changing no other settings, and still the exact same results. The same devices that I could ping across the network I can still ping, the same ones I could not I still cannot.

Options
2021-06-08 01:40:40

@Inc42 

So the network is ISP modem---AX20---Switch? Can we have the model of the switch?

We would like to escalate your case to our engineers, and they will help follow it up, if you are willing to do further analysis, please check your inbox and respond.

Options
2021-06-08 03:02:57
For two of the devices, yes, it is ISP modem---AX20---Switch---Device, for other devices having the exact same issue it is ISP modem---AX20---Device, but the devices going through the switch have been tested going straight to AX20 as well with no change. The switch is a Netgear GS305.
Options
2021-06-08 07:33:18 - last edited 2021-06-09 06:43:46

Happy to report this issue is resolved.

Just incase someone has the same head scratcher as me later on and finds this thread (which is how I came to post on this forum in the first place)

Tech Support reached out to me and had me check if the computers in question were set to Private Network instead of Public Network. Quick instructions they gave me if anyone needs them are this:

1.  Please press Win + Q to open the search window on your computer and then enter Network Status.

2. Click the “Properties” of the network you are using currently.

3. You will see the type of “Network profile” of the network you are using currently.

In my case both the computers in question *were* already set to Private, but I played around in the settings and clicked "Configure firewall and security settings" underneath the Private selection, turned off the Private Network firewall on my media server (really the only thing that I want everything on the network to communicate with) and voila, everything can suddenly ping it. I'm going to play around with settings to try to make sure it is secured, but the answer is it was the firewall.

This is incredibly strange to me that it ended up fixing it for multiple reasons: The fact that some devices on my network could ping the PC with no issues at all even with the firewall on, and the fact that switching back to my old router I did not have this issue during testing even though this firewall setting did not change. I'd dig into this further, but I'm happy that my media server is again working across my network and once I get the Firewall configured properly I'll be happy to leave this one alone. I am fortunate in that I dont *need* the other devices to talk to each other, it was all part of trying to diagnose the issue that I was troubleshooting the entire network, but I imagine the phone, iPad, ect that I had similar issues with would end up having similar solutions.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-06-09 07:20:46 - last edited 2021-06-09 07:22:36

@Inc42  Thank you very much for sharing the solution with the community, it's glad to know that the engineers helped locate the issue, and the issue is resolved.

Just to notify, we also illustrate this kind of setting on a Windows computer in the below article, others who may encounter this issue can check:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/3072/

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-08-01 07:53:10

@Inc42 Thats more of a Windows Firewall issue, than the router AX1800 itself.
Seems like the computers have recognized the change in the network, and as such a new network profile has been loaded. Its just Windows things basically.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3839

Replies: 7