X20 Deco routers randomly disconnect (blink red) for 5-10 seconds throughout the course of the day

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

X20 Deco routers randomly disconnect (blink red) for 5-10 seconds throughout the course of the day

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-07 22:21:41 - last edited 2021-06-08 19:28:30
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.5 Build 20210330 Rel. 62155

Hello,

I just got my Deco X20 routers a few days ago and I'm mostly happy with them except for one glaring issue. The main router that I connect to my (brand new) Spectrum modem will randomly stop producing a wifi signal throughout the day for ~5-10 seconds at a time. This causes the other connected Deco routers to disconnect for a slightly longer period of time as they try to reconnect. To be clear, it stops producing a wifi signal completely - it does not continue to produce wifi but with no internet connection. My devices lose the wifi signal completely and it pops up again in 5-10 seconds. This is why I think it's a Deco issue and not an ISP one. I work from home which means lots of video calls and meetings so you can imagine how disruptive it is for my internet to cut out for 5-10 seconds multiple times during a single meeting. 

I've tried some of the suggestions I've seen on here like:

- Updating the firmware to the most recent firmware (didn't help)

- Turning on IPv6

- Using Google DNS instead of the automatically selected one

- Rebooting the modem and Decos

- Running an ethernet cable from my closest Deco into my PC for a more stable connection

None of these have worked at all.

I attached my log file. Does it look like this issue is caused by the Deco routers or my ISP?

File:
log-2021-06-07.logDownload
Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:X20 Deco routers randomly disconnect (blink red) for 5-10 seconds throughout the course of the day-Solution
2021-06-08 12:31:42 - last edited 2021-06-08 19:28:30

Neuromancer wrote

Is there a way to tell from my log what the issue is?

@Neuromancer 

Look for the following log lines in Main Deco logs:

Mon Nov  2 10:22:12 2020 daemon.notice conn-indicator: Connectivity changed: ONLINE(0x0) -> OFFLINE(0x1)

Mon Nov  2 10:22:42 2020 daemon.notice conn-indicator: Connectivity changed: OFFLINE(0x1) -> ONLINE(0x0)

These log lines will tell you when Main Deco lost connection to the Internet, and when connection came back. 30 seconds outage in this example.

Unfortunately, Deco logs are not kept for long time, but if you check them early in the morning you will find brief outages that have happened during the last night, which could have been missed otherwise.

Also, you can start recording times and duration of outages, from these logs, for the inevitable conversation with ISP tech support you are going to have.

In my case, after initial denial by ISP that there is anything wrong with their network, they sent technician who found the problem with their cables outside of my house, and fixed it by replacing one of cables.

What helped to convince ISP support take issue seriously is the timeline and duration of outages I provided them with. While it is OK for Internet to go down once in a while at night (ISP maintenance) or occasionally during the day (technician fixing someone else's problem in your area) - having random times when Internet goes down during day and night hours is the thing that is not OK and deserves an explanation from an ISP.

By the way, my modem is also Hitron, so I can share how it works. When Hitron notices quality of downstream or upstream signal in TV cable dropping below acceptable threshold, it will reboot itself. 

How to find if this is the case, if your Hitron user interface is similar to mine:

1. See WAN Up Time under Status/System Information in Hitron Web UI. Every time Hitron reboots itself, WAN Up Time is reset to 0. It won't tell you how many times Hitron rebooted, but it'll tell you the time of the last reboot. Deco logs will tell you how many time it happened in last few hours, and duration of outages. If duration of an outage is always the same or close, it is another hint it is Hitron modem reboot.

Note that LAN Up Time is not reset, interestingly.

WAN Up Time is first thing to check, if you have it reported in your Hitron model. It'll tell you right away if this is ISP problem.

2. Under DOCSIS WAN section, in Hitron Web UI, see Downstream Overview and Upstream Overview. Google for what is acceptable signal strength for both and compare with yours. Sorry, didn't save the link I googled when investigated my Internet issues.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:X20 Deco routers randomly disconnect (blink red) for 5-10 seconds throughout the course of the day-Solution
2021-06-23 18:05:50 - last edited 2021-06-28 08:26:02

Hello,

Just wanted to provide an update for anyone in the same situation as me. It was an issue with Spectrum all along and not my Deco routers. Spectrum came by and replaced my old modem today (Hitron EN2251) and I haven't had any issues since. The tech that came out said that this is a known issue with the Hitron EN2251 and he doesn't like to install them for that reason. It's apparently an issue with the ethernet port in the back of the modem cutting out randomly throughout the day.

So if you use Spectrum and have the Hitron EN2251 modem, there's your problem.

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:X20 Deco routers randomly disconnect (blink red) for 5-10 seconds throughout the course of the day
2021-06-08 02:03:47

@Neuromancer 

Hi, Thanks for the detailed information.

I would like to forward your case to the senior engineers and could you please help me get more details:

1. Would any Deco turn red when the internet lost?
  2. What is the model number of the new Spectrum modem?
  3. When you wired the computer via Ethernet cable to the Deco, did the same issue repeat on the Ethernet connection?
  4. How often did this issue occur within one day, like 3-4 times?

By the way, there is a new firmware released recently,

Deco X20(US)_V2_1.0.6_210424

https://static.tp-link.com/2021/202105/20210526/Deco_X20_V2_210424.zip

Could you mind also updating to this firmware?

Thank you and wait for your reply.

Options
Re:X20 Deco routers randomly disconnect (blink red) for 5-10 seconds throughout the course of the day
2021-06-08 02:50:13 - last edited 2021-06-08 03:03:31

I can't edit my post but I take back what I said about the wireless network disappearing entirely. I tested it again earlier and my laptop stayed connected to the wifi while the internet itself went out so it could be the ISP. The wifi network stayed on for the 5-10 seconds or so until the internet came back on.

1. Would any Deco turn red when the internet lost? - Yes, they will sometimes flash red and then sometimes just stay red for 5-10 seconds before the issue resolves itself. I don't have to do anything.
  2. What is the model number of the new Spectrum modem? - Hinton EN2251
  3. When you wired the computer via Ethernet cable to the Deco, did the same issue repeat on the Ethernet connection? - Yes wifi and ethernet connections both go out.
  4. How often did this issue occur within one day, like 3-4 times? - I would say about 1-5 times an hour.

By the way, there is a new firmware released recently - is this more current than what the app shows as the most current firmware? Because my app shows that all of my Decos are up to date.

Options
2021-06-08 12:31:42 - last edited 2021-06-08 19:28:30

Neuromancer wrote

@Neuromancer 

Look for the following log lines in Main Deco logs:

Mon Nov  2 10:22:12 2020 daemon.notice conn-indicator: Connectivity changed: ONLINE(0x0) -> OFFLINE(0x1)

Mon Nov  2 10:22:42 2020 daemon.notice conn-indicator: Connectivity changed: OFFLINE(0x1) -> ONLINE(0x0)

These log lines will tell you when Main Deco lost connection to the Internet, and when connection came back. 30 seconds outage in this example.

Unfortunately, Deco logs are not kept for long time, but if you check them early in the morning you will find brief outages that have happened during the last night, which could have been missed otherwise.

Also, you can start recording times and duration of outages, from these logs, for the inevitable conversation with ISP tech support you are going to have.

In my case, after initial denial by ISP that there is anything wrong with their network, they sent technician who found the problem with their cables outside of my house, and fixed it by replacing one of cables.

What helped to convince ISP support take issue seriously is the timeline and duration of outages I provided them with. While it is OK for Internet to go down once in a while at night (ISP maintenance) or occasionally during the day (technician fixing someone else's problem in your area) - having random times when Internet goes down during day and night hours is the thing that is not OK and deserves an explanation from an ISP.

By the way, my modem is also Hitron, so I can share how it works. When Hitron notices quality of downstream or upstream signal in TV cable dropping below acceptable threshold, it will reboot itself. 

How to find if this is the case, if your Hitron user interface is similar to mine:

1. See WAN Up Time under Status/System Information in Hitron Web UI. Every time Hitron reboots itself, WAN Up Time is reset to 0. It won't tell you how many times Hitron rebooted, but it'll tell you the time of the last reboot. Deco logs will tell you how many time it happened in last few hours, and duration of outages. If duration of an outage is always the same or close, it is another hint it is Hitron modem reboot.

Note that LAN Up Time is not reset, interestingly.

WAN Up Time is first thing to check, if you have it reported in your Hitron model. It'll tell you right away if this is ISP problem.

2. Under DOCSIS WAN section, in Hitron Web UI, see Downstream Overview and Upstream Overview. Google for what is acceptable signal strength for both and compare with yours. Sorry, didn't save the link I googled when investigated my Internet issues.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-06-08 19:21:41

@Alexandre. Thank you! I did see a few occurrences of the Online -> Offline and then Offline -> Online 5-10 seconds later. That makes me think that it's an ISP issue and not my Decos which is nice. I'll have to sort that out with Spectrum. I'll try checking the logs again in the morning after letting it run throughout the night and then contact Spectrum with the logs.

How do you access the Hitron web UI that you mentioned? Spectrum hasn't said anything about that.

Options
2021-06-08 20:01:05

@Neuromancer 

>How do you access the Hitron web UI that you mentioned? 

Just checked specs for Hitron EN2251, I think it might not have Web UI. Mine is combo modem/router Hitron CODA-4582, that one does have Web UI. Too bad, if you had access to modem you'd see instantly if it is modem that reboots itself internally.

Options
2021-06-23 18:05:50 - last edited 2021-06-28 08:26:02

Hello,

Just wanted to provide an update for anyone in the same situation as me. It was an issue with Spectrum all along and not my Deco routers. Spectrum came by and replaced my old modem today (Hitron EN2251) and I haven't had any issues since. The tech that came out said that this is a known issue with the Hitron EN2251 and he doesn't like to install them for that reason. It's apparently an issue with the ethernet port in the back of the modem cutting out randomly throughout the day.

So if you use Spectrum and have the Hitron EN2251 modem, there's your problem.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-06-28 08:26:54

@Neuromancer 

That's great news to know that the issue was resolved by replacing the Hitron EN2251 cable modem with Spectrum.yes

Options
2021-06-28 17:01:44
Yes indeed. My Deco routers have been working great since! No issues!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1013

Replies: 8