device cannot connect to 2.4GHz wifif when there are no other devices connected

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-13 12:06:29 - last edited 2021-06-13 12:08:54
Model: Archer AX1500  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.0 Build 20210420 Rel. 39971(4555)

Hello,
I have a Xiaomi Light bulb that works on 2.4GHz network (model = yeelink-light-color5).
Previously I was using a defaul ISP's router which was lacking in features and power, thus I have decided to buy my own. But eveythring worked correctly.
As soon as I have replaced the old one with TPlink AX1500, the problems with bulb started. I am operating it via xiaomi's cloud. Recentyl I even connected it locally to HomeAssistant to check if that will help. 

The bulb cannot connect to 2.4GHz when there are no other devices connected (to 2.4GHz wifi). It is not visible in xiaomi's app and locally over LAN. 
As soon as I connect my phone to 2.4GHz wifi instead of 5GHz, the bulb is discovered and it works perfectly with both cloud and LAN. 
I can then disconnect my phone, after what bulb either stops working or works for some time, losing signal sometimes and finally becoming offline. (sometimes it is offline in both xiaomi app and local HomeAssistant, but router still sees it and can be pinged). After I turn the bulb with physicl switch (cut the power and put it back on) the bulb is gone from the network. Of course, until I connect some other device to 2,4GHz. Then it will work again.

I have small apartment, bulb is like 2m not obstructed from router. I understand that those wifi liht bulbs have cheap wifi modules, but it worked fine on crappy ISP's router (UPC Poland ConnectBox). What is more, when I host a network on my phone (galaxy A50) with the same ssid (and wifi turned off in archer router) bulb connects instantly and works fine. 
There is something wrong with my router handling the bulb. It is not the cheapest router, I was expanding to have something that will just work. 

How can I debug this problem? Should I RMA the router? 
The problem seems clearly to be with connecting to that specific router.

// I will also add that parental control is off, there are no strong wifi signals nearby. I was experimenting with setting the 2.4GHz channel in stone, also set it to 20MHz mode wide only. It did not help. Bulb has static IP assigned in dhcp, didnt help either.

Options
5 Reply
Re:device cannot connect to 2.4GHz wifif when there are no other devices connected
2021-06-18 06:49:11

@PiotrTP 

May I know the model of the Archer is AX10 or AX1500? You can verify this by checking the bottom label underneath the router.

This offline issue of the bulb seems quite common, you may check with the yeelight forum for the offline issue, try to seek some suggestions from their support or other customers:

https://forum.yeelight.com/t/topic/3147/6

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:device cannot connect to 2.4GHz wifif when there are no other devices connected
2021-06-18 07:27:20 - last edited 2021-06-18 07:28:12

@Kevin_Z 
I understand that the bulbs are unreliable, but this one can connect to old ISP's router, to networks tethered from my phone etc. At other location there is a Deco mesh network, which works fine with the bulb too. And when I mean connect, it is not only by checking the cloud connection (here Internet may be an issue) but also LAN connection via HomeAssistant.
As this router is not the cheapest one I expected it to work flawlessy with the wide range of devices. 

I have clearly isolated the problem: bubl doesnt work just with the router, either it is the AP mode or Router mode. Bulb just cannot connect via 2.4GHz. 
BUT as soon as I connect other device to 2.4GHz band, the bulb connects without an issue. Isnt that strange? What the router is doing? Is it putting the 2.4GHz wifi to sleep, which the bubl cannot wake up and the other device needs to be connected to wake it up properly? 

The model is : Archer AX1500 (EU) v1.0

Options
2021-06-18 09:20:50

@PiotrTP 

Understood. Just to confirm, when the bulb shows offline, you can still find it on the router DHCP client list, and you can still ping it from the router web? How about other devices in the network, are they able to ping the bulb?

The tech team was made aware of your issue. They will likely reach out to you via email to continue to troubleshoot your issue.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-06-18 10:10:37

@Kevin_Z 

here are the steps and what is happening:

• connect my phone to 2.4GHz
  • turn the light bulb on
  • light bulb works correctly, the control is snappy, ping is OK
  • switch my phone to 5GHz
  • light bulb ping shows some packet loss (about 25%), the control sometimes misses its commands
  • turn the bulb off and on again
  • bulb is not accessible by HomeAssistant or cloud
  • bulb is not pingable (request timed out)
  • bulb is still visible on connected device's router's list 

I am pinging it from router's "Diagnostics" pane. I can later add ping results from other devices. (although HomeAsissistant access is some sort of LAN accessibility showcase).

Options
2021-06-21 03:06:29

@PiotrTP 

Thanks for the additional info, which is helpful. Please kindly discuss this with the support engineers directly, I think they will help you resolve it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1576

Replies: 5

Related Articles