TP-LINK AC1200 Archer VR400 struggling with PC range

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-16 10:25:37 - last edited 2021-06-18 01:29:12
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

I've just signed onto a new Wifi provider Superloop and bought a TP-LINK AC1200 Archer VR400 which is compatible with the provider: This is the exact model:

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/tp-link-ac1200-wireless-modem-router-vr400-tpmdvr400

These are the connection specs:

Technology Type: nbn FTTN

Hardware Operation Mode: VDSL2 Modem Router

Internet Connection Type: Dynamic IP

Operation Mode (in tp-link admin): DSL Modem Router Mode

Smart Connect: Off

The connection works fine with laptops and mobile phones, however my PC which is located about 10 metres and 2 walls away from the router is experiencing disconnections once every 30 seconds. I use a Netgear USB WiFi Adapter on my PC to improve the connection - which worked great on our last provider. 

The router can't be moved to another location as the plug that connects to the router is in the kitchen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TP-LINK AC1200 Archer VR400 struggling with PC range-Solution
2021-06-16 13:17:41 - last edited 2021-06-18 01:29:12

@Sofee 

It's quite possible that moving through 2 walls the wireless signal degrades and be the reason for these disconnects.

Have you measured the wireless signal strength with your PC wireless adapter ?

What you can do:

Check your wireless settings and set them like this for both bands:

Additionally you can scan with the Wi-Fi analyzer app and set less crowded wireless channels to avoid the wireless interference around you.

Reboot the device to force the wireless clients to reconnect.

Test (if possible) with another wireless adapter to see if any wireless signal or behavior improvement.

If that doesn't help:

VR400 is OneMesh compatible device.

You can buy a OneMesh compatible RE to extend your wireless coverage and improve the wireless experience in locations where that's needed.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:TP-LINK AC1200 Archer VR400 struggling with PC range-Solution
2021-06-16 13:17:41 - last edited 2021-06-18 01:29:12

@Sofee 

It's quite possible that moving through 2 walls the wireless signal degrades and be the reason for these disconnects.

Have you measured the wireless signal strength with your PC wireless adapter ?

What you can do:

Check your wireless settings and set them like this for both bands:

Additionally you can scan with the Wi-Fi analyzer app and set less crowded wireless channels to avoid the wireless interference around you.

Reboot the device to force the wireless clients to reconnect.

Test (if possible) with another wireless adapter to see if any wireless signal or behavior improvement.

If that doesn't help:

VR400 is OneMesh compatible device.

You can buy a OneMesh compatible RE to extend your wireless coverage and improve the wireless experience in locations where that's needed.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:TP-LINK AC1200 Archer VR400 struggling with PC range
2021-06-18 01:28:59
Managed to get a solution in the end. Looks like the reach of the VR400 just isn't as good as my last ISP-provided router. I bought another PC USB Wireless Adapter that can extend a bit further which did the trick. Bit of a shame that 2 walls isn't good enough for the router.
Options