WDS Switch Archer C7

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

WDS Switch Archer C7

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
WDS Switch Archer C7
WDS Switch Archer C7
2021-06-19 20:25:25 - last edited 2021-06-23 02:25:43
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.1.2 Build 20210125 rel.37999(5553)

I have a LAN (192.168.0.1) that connects to my wired router and a WiFi network (192.168.2.1) where I connect via WiFi using WDS.
The wired network constantly goes down, and I switch to WDS because that one rarely goes down.

The steps to make the switch are:

• System Tools > System Parameters > 2.4 GHz WDS > Enable WDS Bridging (Check the check mark)> Save.
  • Network > DHCP Server > Settings > Enable DHCP Server (Uncheck the checkbox) > Save.
  • Restart the Router.

Then when the wired internet comes back I have to do the same steps above, disabling WDS and enabling DHCP and reboot the router. 

I would like to know if there is a faster way to switch between these two modes without rebooting the router. Since when I activate the WDS I can not enter the router 192.168.0.1 which is the wired network. And the modem does not receive wired internet when it comes back.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:WDS Switch Archer C7-Solution
2021-06-22 07:35:42 - last edited 2021-06-23 02:25:43

@Zontir 

The benefit of an AP mode is generally related with avoiding double NAT in your network:

https://www.noip.com/support/knowledgebase/double-network-address-translation-nat/

When you already have a device that does NAT in your network (your ISP modem/router), then there's no need to introduce another one that makes NAT too (Archer C7).

In case of an AP mode - Archer C7 doesn't do NAT - see the difference between router and AP mode.

Why Archer C7 being working in AP mode should be configured in the same subnet as ISP modem/router ?

That's because in AP mode there's no NAT on Archer C7 and it must be in the same subnet as the ISP modem/router to be able to communicate with.

When you have two or more independent ISP connections to switch between them quickly (failover) or use them in parallel (load-balance):

if at least one of them is 100+ Mbps bandwidth you'll need a load balance router like TL-R605

or

if each of the ISP connections bandwidth is below 100 Mbps you can use a load balance router like TL-R470T+

In both cases it's desirable to have all ISP's devices in bridge mode so the NAT is done only in the load balance router that you'll choose.

To that load balance router you can connect any WAP (wireless access point) or wireless router in AP mode, again to avoid the double NAT in your network.

It may look a little bit complex, but that's the proper way to go if you don't want to switch cables and re-configure/reboot devices each time when ISP connection goes down.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:WDS Switch Archer C7
2021-06-21 06:58:38

@Zontir 

Which one is the main router, and which is the WDS router? What is the model of the router, one is Archer C7, how about the other?

If the Archer C7 is the WDS one, it is suggested to configure the WDS bridging on it as follows, you can change its LAN IP address to 192.168.0.254:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1555/

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2021-06-21 13:04:39 - last edited 2021-06-21 13:06:38

Hey @Kevin_Z

The main modem is a Arris SBG6580, it is the one that provides wired internet access to the Archer C7.
The other modem is a TENDA N301 is the one that provides WiFi to my Archer C7.

My intention is to make a switch quickly when one of the two networks goes down.

Options
2021-06-22 00:26:42 - last edited 2021-06-22 02:16:14

@Zontir 

What your Tenda N301 is used for ?

I would configure Arris SBG6580 in bridge mode:

https://arris.secure.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SBG6580-Bridge-Mode-Setup/?l=en_US&fs=RelatedArticle

or if (v8.5.x)

https://arris.secure.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SBG6580-v8-5-x-Bridge-Mode-Setup/?l=en_US&fs=RelatedArticle

and use the Archer C7 as a main wireless router connected to the Arris SBG6580 LAN port - that should provide stability in your network setup.

Then if I need to extend the wireless coverage in my home I would use the Tenda N301 as an access point connected to the Archer C7.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-06-22 00:59:16 - last edited 2021-06-22 01:00:10

@terziyski 
The N301 is connected to a Ubiquiti Nanobeam Ac Gen2 antenna that provides Internet and the Arris SBG6580 is a modem router, I cannot change it for the Archer C7 because the Archer is not a modem. Besides the Arris is out of my control as well as the N301, only the Archer C7 is under my control physically. I can only connect to the others from the network.

Options
2021-06-22 02:37:41

@Zontir 

So you have two independent Internet sources - Tenda and Arris both working as routers (NAT enabled) and you don't have admin access to them ?

Have you tried to configure Archer C7 in AP mode - Case 1.

For that purpose you have to turn off C7's DHCP server, configure its LAN with static IP in the same subnet as Arris or Tenda and connect to one of them by wire.

That may improve your stability as well.

Options
2021-06-22 03:16:31

@terziyski 

Yes, that is correct. Two independent connections.
I have administrator access, but I would prefer not to change anything unless necessary.

I have configured my router as an access point, but I don't see any advantage for me in that, in fact when I do that the advanced options of my Archer disappear, and it only leaves me with the basics.

Being you the expert, could you explain me what benefits this mode brings for me?

Regarding "the same subnet" I don't understand why it has to be like that. Could you also explain me why it has to be like that?

Also, as I have two independent internet connections as explained above, one with each router. What would be the way to switch between them quickly?

Options
Re:WDS Switch Archer C7-Solution
2021-06-22 07:35:42 - last edited 2021-06-23 02:25:43

@Zontir 

The benefit of an AP mode is generally related with avoiding double NAT in your network:

https://www.noip.com/support/knowledgebase/double-network-address-translation-nat/

When you already have a device that does NAT in your network (your ISP modem/router), then there's no need to introduce another one that makes NAT too (Archer C7).

In case of an AP mode - Archer C7 doesn't do NAT - see the difference between router and AP mode.

Why Archer C7 being working in AP mode should be configured in the same subnet as ISP modem/router ?

That's because in AP mode there's no NAT on Archer C7 and it must be in the same subnet as the ISP modem/router to be able to communicate with.

When you have two or more independent ISP connections to switch between them quickly (failover) or use them in parallel (load-balance):

if at least one of them is 100+ Mbps bandwidth you'll need a load balance router like TL-R605

or

if each of the ISP connections bandwidth is below 100 Mbps you can use a load balance router like TL-R470T+

In both cases it's desirable to have all ISP's devices in bridge mode so the NAT is done only in the load balance router that you'll choose.

To that load balance router you can connect any WAP (wireless access point) or wireless router in AP mode, again to avoid the double NAT in your network.

It may look a little bit complex, but that's the proper way to go if you don't want to switch cables and re-configure/reboot devices each time when ISP connection goes down.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-06-23 02:28:52

@terziyski 

I understand, thank you very much for the explanation, now I have it clearer. Now it makes sense because sometimes I have problems with DNS because of the double NAT.

Best regards!

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 963

Replies: 8

Related Articles