RE350 - Unable to connect to this Network (multiple devices)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-06-21 10:50:31 - last edited 2021-07-06 02:05:57
Model: RE350  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 20190516 Rel. 43695

Ahoy,

I have been using an RE350 as a range extender for a bit over a year and right from the start my partners phone (MOTO G7 Power) was unable to connect to the extended network.
As this phone is known to have issues connecting to Wifi networks I blamed the phone.
My old laptop too is unable to connect to the RE350 Wifi.
As this laptop is quite literally falling apart and has seen many years I blamed the Laptop.
During all that time my PC was connecting happily to the RE350 using a TP-link N900 PCI-E card.
"Unfortunately" I just upgraded to a brand new ASUS B550-f with built in WIFI.
And now my PC has joined the club and is "Unable to connect to this Network".

For all three devices the same goes, extended Network is being received at maximum strength (if close enough) but somehow it is not possible to connect to it.
This is the case for both the 2.4 and the 5ghz network.
Is it just a busted range extender or does anyone have some miracle solution.
I have almost! certainly already tried everything that can be adjusted in the limited RE350 menu but since i really don't want to buy yet another piece of future tech waste I am happy for any suggestions which i will then test again.

And just to make sure that I can actually make some adjustments I plugged in the N900 card again so that I can connect to the RE350.

Cheers
Tim

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:RE350 - Unable to connect to this Network (multiple devices)-Solution
2021-07-05 22:28:42 - last edited 2021-07-06 02:05:57

@Solla-topee 

Please make sure PC and  Moto G7 are still able to router's Wi-Fi. Reset Moto G7 wifi settings on the phone and reconnect to RE's Wi-Fi.

If possible, locate RE closer to router and see Moto G7 could connect to RE Wi-Fi by manually put in Wi-Fi password? 

Please also check there is any new driver for your Win10 PC built in adapter. 

Tried -> no luck

If same issue persists, please factory reset RE305 and set it up again : (* It is recommended to use a new and different SSID for RE305 during the setup.)

RESET: With the extender powered on, use a pin to press the RESET button until most Leds flash once. 

I have done this at least 5 times before but this time it sort of worked.

I used the WPS buttons rather than doing things manually.

The RE somehow only picks up on the 5G network whereas before it always received the 2.4G much better.

It now forwards this 5G (host) network and extends it as 2.4 and 5G.

But, wohoo the G7 and the ASUS Rog motherboard can now receive the Extended network!
Unfortunately the speed when connecting to the extended network is halfed when compared to the host network even though the forwarded signal is far stronger.

But at this point I do not care anymore. I now have some level of internet in the whole house!! Yay.

Thank you, for making me try all of this one more time!

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:RE350 - Unable to connect to this Network (multiple devices)
2021-07-02 02:13:22
bump
Options
2021-07-02 07:58:46 - last edited 2021-07-02 07:59:12

@Tim123  Hello, 

May I know how many devices are connected to RE350's Wi-Fi right now? And how about the LED status on RE350? 

> You could delete the wifi profile on the computer and reconnect to the RE's wifi and see that helps: 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/918/

On  the Moto G7, you coud go to WiFi settings---Tap RE's SSID and delete or forget this network and reconnect to RE's wifi, what is the Error if it fails to connect to RE? 

> To check if  the issue is on PC with N900 PCIE adapter , please create a hotspot wifi and see N900 PC could connect to Hotspot wifi or not? 

Make sure your Asus ROG has not blocked the PCI-E slot of the tp-link N900 adapter. 

Options
2021-07-03 23:06:11

@Solla-topee 

Ahoy,

Users: Right now, one, at peak, three.

Led: Red ring followed by blue, blue, blue. Occasionally, I manage to get the ring blue as well, but only if all the doors are open etc.

As I said, it is not a mere internet issue, I cannot connect to the Re350 at all even though the devices detect its signal at maximum strength.

Forgetting the network: Done.(admittedly not for the first time)

G7: Same as before, the extender signal is displayed at full strength -> I try to connect -> Password Required/ entered-> connecting ... connecting ..  -> It tries this for a while until the connecting line is replaced with "saved", which sadly is not "connected". Gist: it simply does not connect.

Win10 PC: Exactly the same only that it ends up displaying "Unable to connect to this Network" rather than "saved".

Not entirely sure about your last suggestion.

I do not really care about the N900 any more i want to use the built in mobo wifi. It was just meant to underpin that the RE350 has communication issues with a range of devices but is not broken as such since it works fine with the N900.

I take it you want me to create the mobile hotspot with the G7 and then receive it with the ASUS mobo since the N900 card has no issues whatsoever with the RE?

Anyhow the mobo is happily receiving the G7 wifi hotspot.
Furthermore I can tell you that the mobo does not block the PCIe slot. If I have both the N900 and the mobo installed I can choose between the N900 and mobo wifi in the windows wifi menu but only the N900 wifi can connect to the re350.

Cheers

Options
2021-07-05 11:29:32

@Tim123  Hello, 

Please make sure PC and  Moto G7 are still able to router's Wi-Fi. Reset Moto G7 wifi settings on the phone and reconnect to RE's Wi-Fi.

If possible, locate RE closer to router and see Moto G7 could connect to RE Wi-Fi by manually put in Wi-Fi password? 

If same issue persists, please factory reset RE305 and set it up again : (* It is recommended to use a new and different SSID for RE305 during the setup.)

RESET: With the extender powered on, use a pin to press the RESET button until most Leds flash once. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1400/

Options
Re:RE350 - Unable to connect to this Network (multiple devices)-Solution
2021-07-05 22:28:42 - last edited 2021-07-06 02:05:57

@Solla-topee 

Tried -> no luck

I have done this at least 5 times before but this time it sort of worked.

I used the WPS buttons rather than doing things manually.

The RE somehow only picks up on the 5G network whereas before it always received the 2.4G much better.

It now forwards this 5G (host) network and extends it as 2.4 and 5G.

But, wohoo the G7 and the ASUS Rog motherboard can now receive the Extended network!
Unfortunately the speed when connecting to the extended network is halfed when compared to the host network even though the forwarded signal is far stronger.

But at this point I do not care anymore. I now have some level of internet in the whole house!! Yay.

Thank you, for making me try all of this one more time!

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-07-06 02:05:42

@Tim123  Hello, 

If your router is dual-band router, you will need  WPS  two times to connect 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, but as RE is currently working, you could try that in the future. 

As range extender receives data from the router and then forward it to the connected clients and speed could decrease a lot during the transmission. 

Thanks for your update and glad to hear that Moto G7 and PC are able to connect to RE right now. 

Options
2021-07-06 02:10:40

@Solla-topee 

Yes I am aware of this but here is the thing.

It should be possible within the RE menu (tplinkrepeater.net) to choose a host network for 2.4G however when I press "scan" not a single 2.4G network is displayed.

It used to find all kinds. Neighbors, pedestrians, even the public bus when it passes.

Anyhow. It is still working so I will most definitely not try to change anything.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 908

Replies: 7