TP-Link Utility Stealing Focus from Programs - Solution

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-03-06 00:24:37
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WN722N

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

After installing the supplied TP-Link wireless utility to go along with the wireless adapter, the focus of windows was continually stolen. That is, the window of Firefox, folder-windows, other programs, would continually cease to be active when I was using them.

As the only change to my system had been the installation of TP-Link, this had to be the culprit - and it was. In the current utility there are 5 tabs or sections: 1) Status 2) QSS 3) Network 4) Profile 5) Advanced.

It seems if the open section is one which updates information live - such as the "Network" section/tab does, then the TP-Link utility steals focus from other programs even if the TP-Link utility is minimised in the taskbar or notification-area.

To solve this annoying problem, switch the utility to a section that does not look to update itself with new information, such as the "Advanced" section/tab. Once done, you can then safely minimise the TP-Link utility and you will no longer be bothered with the windows of programs you are using becoming inactive.

Hopefully someone at TP-Link will refer this problem and solution to their programmers so that a fix can be issued. A google search for "TP-Link stealing focus" will reveal that others are having the same problem.
Options
11 Reply
Re:TP-Link Utility Stealing Focus from Programs - Solution
2013-03-12 14:48:59
If i were you, i will uninstall utility on your PC and install driver only. And then, use windows built-in utility to connect to a wireless network.
Options
2013-03-22 04:44:33

Vivian wrote

If i were you, i will uninstall utility on your PC and install driver only. And then, use windows built-in utility to connect to a wireless network.

Yes, that's certainly an option. Good call!

:)
Options
Powerline Adapater Utility also does this!
2013-03-24 19:35:56
I have the TP-LINK AV500 Nano Powerline Adapters and i can can cofirm that the provided Utility also does the same thing!
Another thing I noticed is when I rename the adapters using the utility they loose their name after rebooting the machine.
It would be great if TP LINK could address the issues with an update.
Options
2013-03-31 09:23:25
Moose - Thank you for that! Definitely a software problem with the utility but your temp fix has solved this very irritating problem for me.
Options
2013-04-03 23:33:06

Edz100 wrote

Moose - Thank you for that! Definitely a software problem with the utility but your temp fix has solved this very irritating problem for me.

You are very welcome! I'm glad to have been of some small help :)
Options
2013-05-28 22:39:13
I too had this exact same problem and its taken a long time to whittle it down to my TP-LINK TL-WN822N. Its great that a workaround has been found, but has anyone emailed TP-Link about the problem? If not I will get on the case as it would be nice for them to address the issue so we can use the software we paid for.
Options
2013-06-08 04:48:58
I didn't email TP-Link as I assumed they would be monitoring their own official forum and would be only too glad to have the issue flagged.

If you do contact them, it would be great if you could post any official reply on this thread.
Options
2013-07-14 23:53:15
Several others have had this issue as have I.
I found that if you don't minimize the utility, that it is always visible on the desktop, the utility will not grab focus from other windows.
If you minimize it, every 30 seconds or so, it will take the focus away from the window you are working in.
Options
Same over here
2013-09-10 14:55:35
Exactly the same over here every few minutes focus is being pulled away from window I am in. Then it disconnects and I have to re-connect and enter password again. Realy annoying. So indeed I terminated this piece of unchecked crap software and used the windows wireless configuration. 2 days and till now everything runs fine. Why don't you guys at TP LINK check your software before throwing it to the consumer??
Options
2013-09-11 01:04:09
UNPRESENTABLE AND COMPLETELY UNPROFESSIONAL

Steals the focus and connection goes down when typing in other programs. As whealthy says, those bugs doesn't happen if you don't minimize the "inutility".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1696

Replies: 11