Deco P9 slow internet speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-01 20:43:38
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I have just bought a box of the 3 deco P9. I have them connected to a virgin super hub 3 set to modem mode.

I should be getting 200mbs from virgin but I'm getting  110mbs at the hub (when in router mode).

when I connect the main deco I'm getting anywhere from 2-20mbs that's a big drop.

I have the next deco in an adjoining room, around 10m away. It generally connects ok to that. Then I had the other on the 1st floor but in an extension. Signal kept dropping so I have now hard wired that deco to the main one via a TP-link 8 port switch. Them two both seem to work ok except speed isn't great. The 2nd one has been dropping the connection all day to the point where I have had to turn it all off and set the virgin hub back up. I'm working from home do can't afford for it to be dropping all the time.

any ideas why the connection speed is so slow from the hub to the main deco.

I used the Ethernet cable it was supplied with.

all decos are plugged in at the wall and not extension leads. 

any help would be greatly appreciated 

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco P9 slow internet speed
2021-07-06 10:44:37

@Milcad79 

Hi, please try to leave Virgin super hub3 as a wireless router, then change the Deco P9 to access point mode to have a look;

Options
2021-07-20 21:58:46

@Milcad79 I would concur with the advice above. I initially placed my SH3 into modem mode and allowed the P9 to perform router functions. I have a SamKnows whitebox that provides me detailed statistics from my VM internet connection (350Mb service) and it was clear that my download speeds reduced after the P9 change. I was showing around 230Mbps but since changing back to to the SH3 router and placing the P9 into access pointmode, I get the full 350Mbps again (and more). The graphic below shows quite clearly where I reverted back (6th March)

It suggests to me that the router capabilities in the P9 are not particularly performant.

Options
2021-07-21 06:37:54

@Essdee 

Hi, Except for the router capability of Deco P9, the working mode of SH3 might also have some influence.

I used to get similar feedback on Sky internet service that ISP-provided modem would have better compatibility while other third-party routers have a slower speed; working on AP mode could reach to full speed;

So would it be possible to connect the laptop via cable to the SH3(modem only) and monitor the speed via SamKnows whitebox for a while?

Options
2021-08-01 17:46:24

@TP-Link 

hi thanks for all the advice, virgin have just sent me the super hub 4 so will try that in router mode and the p9 in access mode. Will let you know what happens 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1519

Replies: 4

Related Articles