question about two internet connections

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-03 04:55:10 - last edited 2021-07-15 16:40:10
Model: TL-SF1005D  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello everyone :)

I recently bought a tp-link Tl-sf1005d, and it's working fine, but my internet connection isn't always stable, so I have a backup connection. I wanted to ask whether it's possible to connect the two to the switch simultaneously (i.e., using two Ethernet ports, one connected to each of the two routers), so that I can take advantage of both connections, or al least so that in case one of them fails, the other keeps working so that I don't get disconnected when at work.

(if that's not possible, I can still connect the backup connection when the other fails, but in the meantime I get disconnected)

Thanks in advance for the info.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:question about two internet connections-Solution
2021-07-15 13:47:49 - last edited 2021-07-15 16:40:10

@miguel.131 

It would not be possible to have both connections "live" at the same time via a switch.   If this was to work at all, the clients would connect randomly to one or the other in no consistent pattern.

To run 2x WAN connections in a load balance or failover setup you need a router to control this.    Something like the TL-R605 would suffice, it can handle up to 4 internet connections in an load balancing or failover mode, also reasonable priced.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:question about two internet connections-Solution
2021-07-15 13:47:49 - last edited 2021-07-15 16:40:10

@miguel.131 

It would not be possible to have both connections "live" at the same time via a switch.   If this was to work at all, the clients would connect randomly to one or the other in no consistent pattern.

To run 2x WAN connections in a load balance or failover setup you need a router to control this.    Something like the TL-R605 would suffice, it can handle up to 4 internet connections in an load balancing or failover mode, also reasonable priced.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:question about two internet connections
2021-07-15 16:38:08

@Philbert 

I see. Thank you for the information.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1115

Replies: 2