No IP address when connected to switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-03 16:24:13
Model: AC50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: No idea how where to find

So I'm notdum on computing in general, but when it comes to networking... Bleh.. 

So, background story

I have various ethernet ports scattered around the house. Works OK when connected in modem/router through house ethernet cable and into my device.

Because of only 4 ports in router, I read that a ethernet switch is used to increase your number of connections. It seemed there is zero configuration to be done, connecting one of the switch port to the router et voila. Now I should have extra ports in the switch.... Expect I don't.

I bought tplink LS1008G  unmanaged switch since I again read that managed is more for complex networks.

Connection setup is modem/router to switch to pc.

The port on the switch connected to the router is blinking away. However, there is no blinking on any switch port when connected to devices. 

I tried all switch ports and 2 devices, as well as moving the port that was connected to the switch. 

When connected to router to switch to device, I get a get a no  ip address error. 

Works perfectly fine when switch is not present in the network. 

Any suggestions?? Thanks a lot

I

Options
1 Reply
Re:No IP address when connected to switch
2021-07-15 13:50:53

@Whoopidoo 

Hey

As you say the switch should be working out of the box with no configuration, it literally just takes incoming traffic and fires it out another port.

Does the PC / Laptop read the network card as connected when you plug it into the switch?   if so check and ensure that you have it set for DHCP mode.     Details below from MS

To enable DHCP or change other TCP/IP settings

1. Select Start , then select Settings  > Network & Internet .

2. Do one of the following:

• For a Wi-Fi network, select Wi-Fi  > Manage known networks. Choose the network you want to change the settings for, then select Properties.

• For an Ethernet network, select Ethernet, then select the Ethernet network you’re connected to.

3. Under IP assignment, select Edit.

4. Under Edit IP settings, select Automatic (DHCP) or Manual.

1. To specify IPv4 settings manually

1. Under Edit IP settings, choose Manual, then turn on IPv4.

2. To specify an IP address, in the IP address, Subnet prefix length, and Gateway boxes, type the IP address settings.

3. To specify a DNS server address, in the Preferred DNS and Alternate DNS boxes, type the addresses of the primary and secondary DNS servers.

Save that and exit..   retry

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3125

Replies: 1

Related Articles