Td-w8968 needs new firmware update, tp-link!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-03-07 00:21:11
Region : Australia

Model : TD-W8968

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Region : Australia

Model : TD-W8968

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 120926

ISP :

Dear TP-LINK,

After countless times to try and fix the hereafter problems and spending hours on your tech lines in China trying to fix them I have no idea where else to turn except the forums in the hope you see this.

Like many others with the W8968 Modem Router we are experiencing sudden disconnections from the internet every 1/2/3 hours with the only way to cure the problem is to hard reset the modem router. For your tech staff on the phone to say 'I'll just have to do this" is completely unacceptable.

I have used 3 other modem routers with the exact same setup flawlessly with no disconnections so it's 110% the modem routers problem.

I'm pushing this message for you, TP-Link, to release a new firmware version to fix this problem.

I also believe there are other problems incorporating port forwarding,etc aside from this major flaw.

I used to believe TP-Link was a trusted and great company but after my experience I'll be thinking otherwise.

Really hope you can get this sorted.

Regards,

Tim
Options
10 Reply
Re:Td-w8968 needs new firmware update, tp-link!
2013-03-09 17:35:04
Hi

try to downgrade your routers firmware and see if that works for you. Because I had some issues with new firmware so I downgraded it and FTP + Bandwidth control both now works together.
Options
2013-03-14 07:06:37
yep, same problem here. Combined with the constant drops (my old Dlink 604 does better than this) and the astoundingly dumb open CWMP port that others have (and I definitely do have this on this w8968) I have had enough. Going to look for a return from my supplier and switch to a different brand.
Options
2013-03-19 17:53:27
I can confirm that TD-W8968 suffer from bad firmware:
TD-W8968_V1_120926: overall good stability, no disconnections except when you launch torrents and programs with a lot of UDP connections (NAT table is overflowing and then router just hangs up, then you should reboot it to work).
TD-W8968_V1_120802: overall bad stability (disconnects every hour-two, but you can actually run torrents and run Steam client with P2P download). Currently on this one.
I'll definitely try to revert back to factory defaults and see if there is an improvement.

What I've done (on firmware 120926) is connected usb flash drive and run .sh (via telnet and then sh) file on router:
while true
do
echo `date` connections: `cat /proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_count` >> /var/usbdisk/sda1/conns.txt
sleep 1
done

Here is output:
Script start (with uTorrent on) on:
Wed Jan 2 13:02:56 UTC 2013 with connections: 613

And hang up (script stopped generating output, monitored on LAN via usb-disk sharing) on:
Wed Jan 2 13:35:24 UTC 2013 with connections: 1898

Here you can see problem with this so called "UDP-storm".
Options
2013-03-26 17:50:38
I can confirm that too.

I got the router about a month ago and it is freezing every couple of hours.
Downgrading the firmware didn't help either or it might have but it is still doing it.
Options
2013-03-26 17:52:02
Everyone that has this same issue should post here and rate the thread so that TP link hopefully will do something about it.
Options
2013-03-27 22:25:53
Same problem here.
It normally happens when someone of my roommate connecting to a online game.
Options
Re: W8968
2013-03-28 11:57:16
I've been having some trouble too, culminating in a modem that won't connect/error message "Timeout waiting for PADO packets". Have tried shutting down/unplugging for 10 minutes, then restoring factory defaults. Now I'm running with an old borrowed Actiontec modem connected with the 8968 in wireless router mode. From what I can tell so far, there doesn't seem to be much interaction here from TP-Link representatives, so not sure how much they monitor these boards. All I do know is that some of the most successful companies in the longer term are serious about customer feedback.
Options
2013-04-02 10:34:52
Maybe nf_conntrack_count is not the reason, because sometimes it reached higher than 2000.
Could u tell me your environment, u use PPPoE, IPoE, PPPoA or IPoA, have you used other functions like wifi, usb, port forwarding, firewall?
Options
2013-04-06 05:43:36
Same disconnection problem.

I always thought they made good products, but I am starting to to re-think my opinions.

I hope they will do something.

Unfortunatley this modem-router don't have a chance for open firmware like DD-WRT or similar.

Thanks
Options
2013-04-07 14:36:34
After reading about Wireless problems with this modem I downloaded & updated the firmware as per instructions now wireless is fine but when I go to log onto the modem via my ethernet connected desk top I get the log on screen & then NOTHING !! Blank page on my desktop. I used my Ipod to set up the modem but now my other laptops wont logon either. Tried reseting the modem but still NOTHING !!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 957

Replies: 10