Deco E4R Mesh - Issue once satelite deco is online

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-06 19:53:55 - last edited 2021-07-16 08:01:14
Model: Deco E4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.5.1

Hi,

If anyone can give me some advice on this because I am stumped!

When running the main deco and only the main deco the system works well, with decent speeds and signal through my 102 square meter flat. Although once I get the satellite deco up and running there are major issues. They are as follows:

1. iOS devices disconnect frequently and battle to reconnect.

2. Internet speeds drop by about 50% when connected to what I assume is the second deco. Being connected to satellite getting around 10mbs (right next to it) and when only using the single main deco in the same spot getting 30mbs plus.

I have tried the following:

1. Moving the satellite a few meters away from the main deco, causes the same issues as listed above.

2. I have tried swapping the main deco and satellite deco but get the same results. Seems to be a software related issue to me.

3. I have reset both decos.

4. I have disabled beam forming and fast roaming.

I have took to just turning off the satellite deco as the results are better which shouldn't be the case, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I must mention before upgrading to 1.5.1 I had none of these issues (previously had them for two days before upgrading) so it seems to me this is definitely a software issue. 

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Deco E4R Mesh - Issue once satelite deco is online-Solution
2021-07-15 14:56:57 - last edited 2021-07-16 08:01:14

@TP-Link 

After several fimware resets it seems to be working and keeping a constant signal and speed! So much happier with that! 

One final issue I am having, by the central point between the two Decos there still seems to be major inference, my speed is drastically impacted but walking a few steps away and the issue is fixed. I used a Wifi Analyser to determine if anything is causing issues and seems a hidden SSID is interfering with my network from time to time. Is there any way to manually set my channel so I can avoid this from. I have used the network optmisation tool many a time but to no avail. Any other suggesions would be appreciated!

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-07-16 05:25:16 - last edited 2021-07-16 08:01:20

@TP-Link 

I think I achieved this by completely disabling the 2.4 ghz network and it seems your recent app update also helped me find the deco a bit easier (could all be coincidence). Further to this touching on SSID which I believe it causing the interference, it seems to be the Deco's One Mesh as I believe this is called. Please see the attached image.

File:
image_2021-07-16_072402.pngDownload
Recommended Solution
Options
11 Reply
Re:Deco E4R Mesh - Issue once satelite deco is online
2021-07-07 08:21:05

@Bryce0736 

Hi, may I know how much bandwidth you have subscribed from the ISP?

Have you checked the signal source strengthen on the 2nd Deco, 2-3 bars?

Could you please also test the Ethernet speed from the 2nd Deco via a wired laptop?

By the way, would turning off the 2.4ghz and leaving the 5ghz only improve the speed?

As for the unstable connection, what are these IOS devices, model numbers & operating systems?

Would there be any error message when the internet disconnected?

And please also turn off the Mesh technology on these devices via Deco APP;

Options
2021-07-07 10:24:39

@TP-Link Hi, really appreciate the help, please see my replies to your queries below:

Hi, may I know how much bandwidth you have subscribed from the ISP? - 50/50mbs

Have you checked the signal source strengthen on the 2nd Deco, 2-3 bars? - Correct 2-3 Bars

Could you please also test the Ethernet speed from the 2nd Deco via a wired laptop? Tested - no internet connection when connected.

By the way, would turning off the 2.4ghz and leaving the 5ghz only improve the speed? - not an option as I have 2.4ghz devices.

As for the unstable connection, what are these IOS devices, model numbers & operating systems? iPhone 7 and 8 (iOS 15 beta 2 and iOs 14)

Would there be any error message when the internet disconnected? - Just displays no internet.

And please also turn off the Mesh technology on these devices via Deco APP; - Turned off.

So to do this, I turned the satellite deco on again with the mesh disabled. All other devices stayed connected to the main deco and worked fine. I had turned my wifi off on my laptop so I then tried to connect my laptop but it wouldn't connect to the 2nd deco (also about 5 - 6 meters away), keeped on disconnecting and when staying connected, saying no internet but connected.

Options
2021-07-07 12:08:34

@TP-Link - After further investigations. I reset my satellite deco and removed it from the mesh for the mean time while we figure this out. I did some basic tests when turning on the second deco and trying to add it back to the mesh, the following occurred:

1. When turning on the second deco, the main deco really battles to find it even though I can see it showing up under my possible WiFi connections. I normally have to locate it about a meter way to connect and it doesn't do it straight away, it can take up to 5 tries. 

2. I noticed when I was trying to add it to the mesh, it seemed like it interferes with the current mesh even if I'm not trying to add it. It takes my speed in my study from about 35mbs to under 10mbs on download.

3. I have shut it down again and removed it from the mesh and I am back to having 35mbs in my study....

Options
2021-07-09 10:46:36

@TP-Link any idea on what to do? I tried to connect the satellite this morning after resetting it and it won't pick it up again...even within touching distance. I am think of returning it, if there is no other solution....

Options
2021-07-12 08:51:46

@Bryce0736 

Thanks for the update.

Before returning the E4, would you mind trying to connect this satellite Deco to the ISP modem as the main Deco?

Then if the issue followed with this Deco, please feel free to contact the shop retailer to replace it;

Options
2021-07-15 14:56:57 - last edited 2021-07-16 08:01:14

@TP-Link 

After several fimware resets it seems to be working and keeping a constant signal and speed! So much happier with that! 

One final issue I am having, by the central point between the two Decos there still seems to be major inference, my speed is drastically impacted but walking a few steps away and the issue is fixed. I used a Wifi Analyser to determine if anything is causing issues and seems a hidden SSID is interfering with my network from time to time. Is there any way to manually set my channel so I can avoid this from. I have used the network optmisation tool many a time but to no avail. Any other suggesions would be appreciated!

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-07-16 05:25:16 - last edited 2021-07-16 08:01:20

@TP-Link 

I think I achieved this by completely disabling the 2.4 ghz network and it seems your recent app update also helped me find the deco a bit easier (could all be coincidence). Further to this touching on SSID which I believe it causing the interference, it seems to be the Deco's One Mesh as I believe this is called. Please see the attached image.

File:
image_2021-07-16_072402.pngDownload
Recommended Solution
Options
2021-07-16 05:25:54

@TP-Link 

Further screenshot. 

File:
image_2021-07-16_072549.pngDownload
Options
2021-07-16 05:28:24

@TP-Link 

Final one. This is the only thing that I can is causing the interference which I believe is the One Mesh. Any other suggestions as I said it appears to only happen in the central point between the two nodes and nowhere else.

File:
image_2021-07-16_072715.pngDownload
Options
2021-07-16 06:06:53

@Bryce0736 

Hi, For the hidden SSID, you are right and it is the wireless network used to create the backhaul between the two E4;

So it would be on the same channel with the main network all the time even after network optimization;

Currently, it could not be turned off;

PS: To avoid further misunderstanding, TP-Link OneMesh and Deco Mesh are not the same things.(For more details:https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/stories/detail/1322)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1255

Replies: 11

Related Articles