2 different wifi networks with single Deco app?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-08 08:40:39

Hi all,

Bit of a weird (and complex) question, but I'm struggling with finding a solution anywhere.

I'm currently using Deco as a mesh wifi solution with my Virgin Hub4 as a modem in my house. I really like the fast roaming feature, and so want it on all the time. Unfortunately, my Neato robovac won't work with it, so I have to have it currently switched off.

I tried to set up a new network (2.4GHz only) for the Robovac, but as I can't control the fast roaming per network, I can't switch it off for this and on for my general use Wifi.

As such, I was wondering if it's possible to buy an additional Deco unit, set it up as an entirely different network, and then be able to control whether fast roaming is on or off with this? I'm holding out buying a new Deco unit, as I don't want to spend the cash then suddenly realise it's only possible to control all networks and not individual networks.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Options
3 Reply
Re:2 different wifi networks with single Deco app?
2021-07-08 12:15:18 - last edited 2021-07-08 12:16:09

@AnthR 

Are you sure it is Fast Roaming (per network) and not Mesh Technology setting (per device) that impacts your vacuum? Have you tried, after connecting robovac to Deco mesh,  enabling Fast Roaming but turning off Mesh specifically for Robovac?

Yes, you can manage multiple Deco mesh networks with one Deco app. Touch network name on top of Deco app screen, a new window will open with the option "Create New Network."

Yet, there are also other solutions:

1) Get basic 2.4GHz WiFi router, attach it to your home network and connect robovac to it. You can buy 2.4GHz only (no 5GHz) WiFi router really cheap these days, or ask around and may be someone you know has one sitting unused they can give it to you for free.

To access robovac from the rest of your home network, place it in that WiFi router DMZ.

2) If you run your Deco mesh in AP mode or you left your ISP router running in Router mode, perhaps enabling 2.4GHz on ISP router you have, with SSID different from Deco mesh, and connecting robovac to that SSID will achieve desired result. 

Options
2021-07-08 13:53:32

@Alexandre. just tried turning the mesh tech off for the device specifically, and turning the fast roaming on. Can't connect to the device anymore. :-(

Options
2021-07-09 03:44:54 - last edited 2021-07-09 03:45:35

@AnthR 

Hi,

Some wireless clients don’t support the 802.11r standard and couldn’t recognize the 802.11r related information in the Beacon frames broadcast by Deco either. In this case, you may find that these clients may fail to connect to Deco’s Wi-Fi network or disconnect from Deco’s Wi-Fi network after turning on the Fast Roaming feature.

Neato robovac might be one of them;

For more details, please have a look at this link:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/stories/detail/960

As for the suggestion to set up a new network, since you have 3*Deco S4 now, you could run the following test:

1. reset one of the satellite S4;

2. create a new network with a different SSID on this onehttps://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2295/

3. then switch the working mode to access point mode to avoid the double-NAT issue; then turn off the fast roaming on the Deco APP;

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options