Archer C80 router with Deco M4?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-12 08:00:05 - last edited 2021-07-14 11:50:35
Model: Archer C80  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi,

Ive got done dead zones in my house, so I've bought a DECO M4 mesh devices. But do they work with a Archer C80 router? It looks like the DECO has it own WiFi and cannot connect as mesh to the C80 router. Or is there a way?

On the C80 I saw that there is also OneMesh but with range extenders. Is that the way to go?

I still want to use the WiFi of the C80 because it is powerful

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer C80 router with Deco M4?-Solution
2021-07-12 09:44:09 - last edited 2021-07-14 11:50:35

@Sander85 

Firstly, the Deco M4 can work with the C80 without an issue, below are some typical network layouts that you can refer to:
General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

While Deco M4 will not join the Onemesh network of the C80, since Deco mesh and Onemesh are totally different technologies used on different TP-Link products, so they are not compatible. You can check these QAs in this article:
Several questions about the OneMesh™ and Mesh

If you ask, we would suggest you buy a Onemesh range extender instead of a Deco M4 mesh for the Onemesh system, or you can rebuild the mesh system with Deco mesh, which is better than mixing them up.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Archer C80 router with Deco M4?-Solution
2021-07-12 09:44:09 - last edited 2021-07-14 11:50:35

@Sander85 

Firstly, the Deco M4 can work with the C80 without an issue, below are some typical network layouts that you can refer to:
General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

While Deco M4 will not join the Onemesh network of the C80, since Deco mesh and Onemesh are totally different technologies used on different TP-Link products, so they are not compatible. You can check these QAs in this article:
Several questions about the OneMesh™ and Mesh

If you ask, we would suggest you buy a Onemesh range extender instead of a Deco M4 mesh for the Onemesh system, or you can rebuild the mesh system with Deco mesh, which is better than mixing them up.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Archer C80 router with Deco M4?
2021-07-12 11:30:38

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks for the reply. It is clear!

But in your opinion, is DECO or OneMesh better or no difference?

Options
2021-07-14 11:50:28

@Sander85 

AFAIK, the performance of the Deco mesh and Onemesh could be similar, but it could depend on how big of your house, and how are the rooms' layouts. Generally, if there are more than two floors, it is suggested to use Deco mesh, and you can put one Deco or two in each floor as per the horizontal layout. Of course, you can use Onemesh as well, but just be sure the main router is in the center of the house, and the range extenders are connecting to the main router directly.

To know more about Deco mesh and Onemesh, please read this article:

TP-Link OneMesh™ VS Deco Mesh: What's the Difference?

Options
2021-07-14 12:20:39
Thanks for the reply, I've tried the DECO but cannot deactivate wifi of the router. plus the connection with the DECO wifi was not that good. I sat 3 meters away. I ordered 2x RE550 so I can configure the OneMesh with the wifi of the router C80, and that will be my setup :)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1929

Replies: 4