Kasa HS100 resets internal time each time on power loss

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-13 07:46:20
Model: HS100  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.6

Every time I disconnect my Kasa HS100 smart plug from the mains power it loses the internal time and resets to 6:30 am on January 2000. I have to change the time zone temporarily to someplace else to get it to sync the time each time. Is there any way I can ensure it does not reset the time every time the incoming electric supply is disrupted for a short time.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Kasa HS100 resets internal time each time on power loss
2021-07-14 12:27:39

@KaranTapoKasa The kasa devices restart (not reset) after a power outage and they need to sync an NTP server before they will run any timer based function.  You'll need to figure out why your network is blocking from reaching the NTP servers via the internet.  There's no on board clock to retain the time between power outages.

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2021-07-15 02:18:41
Options
2021-07-15 02:56:43

@MikeP I checked and found that all my other devices (phone, laptop) are able to connect to NTP servers. My laptop, for instance, connects to time.windows.com successfully. Is there any specific NTP server that Kasa devices use? Additionally, the Kasa app is able to sync the time successfully whenever I change the time zone.

Options
2021-07-15 11:31:13

@KaranTapoKasa You'll probably need to get the tp link team to answer those questions, all I can tell you is the reason - no NTP servers found.  My guess would be the app sets the time to the kasa devices when you change the timezone. 

You could try power cycling just one kasa device - if it recovers the time (try a timed auto off action) it's a slow router startup and/or DNS service setup after an outage, esp if you use local DNS resolution.

If not, It could be your DNS service doesn't like the NTP addresses the kasa devices are requesting, try google's as the primary DNS: 8.8.8.8

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2021-07-15 12:21:03

@MikeP Thanks. Will explore along these lines

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1124

Replies: 5