Connecting two Deco E4 units to the same modem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-13 19:59:52
Model: Deco E4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I recently bought 2 E4 units, and didn't check to see that their ethernet port is only 100mbs.

My data plan with my ISP is actually 600mbs, so the ethernet from the router to the main deco e4 unit is actually throtling my speed.

If I get another unit, can I connect it also to the modem via ethernet, and have the two units connected to the modem in some sort of load balancing serving the remote unit?

Like some sort of communication triangle?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Connecting two Deco E4 units to the same modem
2021-07-14 02:19:35

@Kupsul 

Hi, is your ISP modem a pure cable modem or modem-router combo?

If it is a router, it is ok to connect two E4 units together;

And it is also suggested that you could switch the operating mode on the E4 to be an access point;

Thank you.

Options
2021-07-14 05:13:13 - last edited 2021-07-14 05:21:02

@TP-Link 

Thanks for the reply, it is indeed a modem router

I changed the operation mode to ap and connected the other deco unit to the modem, and connected the unit to the mesh

the bandwith is still throttled. Is there a way to make the two units load-balance each other to increase the internet bandwith?

Options
2021-07-15 02:51:52

@Kupsul 

Hi,

Currently, there is no way to make the two units load-balance each other;

When you put 2 or even 3 Deco E4 directly connected to the main modem router, even though the single Deco E4 speed would not get improved, but the whole Mesh system has made full use of total internet bandwidth.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1156

Replies: 3

Related Articles