Anyone know why my main deco would be pinging websites like linkedin, reddit, bing, and etc

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Anyone know why my main deco would be pinging websites like linkedin, reddit, bing, and etc

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-17 20:36:36
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.5 Build 20210519 Rel. 35582

Can anyone tell me why this seems to be happening? I've never seen anything like it before. My main satellite seems to be reaching out to these websites for some reason.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Anyone know why my main deco would be pinging websites like linkedin, reddit, bing, and etc
2021-07-19 09:01:27

@disableDHCPplz 

Hi, May I know which utility did you use to capture these logs?

Based on the notice—forwarded to local host#5053, maybe there are some devices that are trying to access these websites?

Or did you have any idea what is this local host#5053, since I saw two similar logs, only one of them has been marked as insecure?

By the way, have you noticed any problems when using the Mesh system?

Thank you very much.

Options
Re:Anyone know why my main deco would be pinging websites like linkedin, reddit, bing, and etc
2021-07-19 18:25:20

@TP-Link 

Hi, It's from my pi-hole DNS sinkhole. localhost#5053 is where all my DNS queries get sent for ad/tracker blocking. The insecure thing is DNSSEC. I havent noticed any problems with the MESH system yet. Just missing some features that I would like added such as disabling DHCP.

Options
2021-07-21 11:37:47

@disableDHCPplz 

Hi, Sorry for the delay.

The feature to add DHCP on/off option under router mode is still under evaluation and I haven’t got any updated plan yet.

Deco needs to resolve/send the DNS request to some domains to update its online status on the cloud server, then LED light would come green if the domains were resolved successfully.

It only resolves the DNS domain names but not actually connecting or pinging these websites so there is no potential safety hazard.

DNSSEC on Pi-Hole might indicate Pi-hole detected Deco frequently resolved these domains and send the notification.

Thank you very much.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 462

Replies: 3

Related Articles