Archer Bypassed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer Bypassed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Archer Bypassed
Archer Bypassed
2021-07-19 17:57:24 - last edited 2021-07-22 10:10:28
Model: Archer VR400  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 0.1.0 0.9.1 v0070.0 Build 160613 Rel.40404n

I have an Archer VR400 which normally works fine.

I have Wireless MAC Filering on (Works).

I also have devices listed under the Parental Controls but my step-son has spoofed the MAC address to bypass the original parental controls.

His laptop still has the same name but I noticed he was online after his restricted time.

On checking today, I see his MAC address is different.

Is there any way of stopping VPN's or MAC Spoofing Software?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer Bypassed-Solution
2021-07-21 17:12:13 - last edited 2021-07-22 10:10:28

@tmd273 

Check if this Windows feature has been enabled on your son's laptop and disable it so the MAC address will stay permanent.

Test (connect/disconnect the router's wi-fi) to see if MAC address persists and just then update this MAC address in router's Parental & Access Control.

If that has not been activated it's a good idea to scan the laptop for malicious software (use Malwarebytes for example) and test again.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer Bypassed
2021-07-19 23:21:34 - last edited 2021-07-20 01:58:08

@tmd273 

You can use the Parental Control in conjunction with Access Control.

1.You can keep all the devices listed in Parental Control table as they are - just update the laptop's new MAC address.

2.Configure the Access Control whitelist including all MAC addresses of devices used in your home including the laptop's new MAC address.

(beware the mobiles with randomized MAC addresses, use phone MAC address instead).

On the next change of the MAC address the laptop won't have an internet access:

" Access Control is used to allow or block specific computers and other devices from accessing your network. When a device is blocked, it is able to get an IP address from the router, but unable to communicate with other devices or connect to the Internet. "

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Archer Bypassed
2021-07-21 16:38:04

@terziyski When I attempt to update the MAC address, the laptop loses all internet!

My Step-son says he doesn't know how his MAC address got changed.

Options
Re:Archer Bypassed-Solution
2021-07-21 17:12:13 - last edited 2021-07-22 10:10:28

@tmd273 

Check if this Windows feature has been enabled on your son's laptop and disable it so the MAC address will stay permanent.

Test (connect/disconnect the router's wi-fi) to see if MAC address persists and just then update this MAC address in router's Parental & Access Control.

If that has not been activated it's a good idea to scan the laptop for malicious software (use Malwarebytes for example) and test again.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 537

Replies: 3

Related Articles