Why do some devices connected by ethernet to Deco X90 connect to Guest network, not to main network?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Why do some devices connected by ethernet to Deco X90 connect to Guest network, not to main network?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-21 21:55:52
Model: Deco X90  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Some devices (printer, Sonus speaker) with wired connection to Deco X90 join the Guest network rather than primary Home network. When I disabled guest network and rebooted Deco routers (primary router and 3 additional X90 units) the printer does not connect to network properly (it has self-assigned IP address). How is this possible? More importantly, how can I force devices to connect to main network and not connect to guest network?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Why do some devices connected by ethernet to Deco X90 connect to Guest network, not to main network?
2021-07-22 00:55:35

@Tatsuo 

Hi, thanks for the feedback.

I would like to forward your case to the senior engineers and could you please help me get the following information as well:

1. please go to Deco APP>Overview>settings on the left>help>contact us>suggestions and send us the APP log;

2. what did you mean the printer could not connect properly, not able to get the IP address, or something else?

3.After disabling the guest network and rebooting all the Deco units, how about the Sonos speaker, and did it show up correctly on the APP?

4. Could you please help me draw a picture of the network topology of the Mesh system. Like:

ISP modem—main X90, wireless to the rest of 3*X90?

Thank you very much.

Options
Re:Why do some devices connected by ethernet to Deco X90 connect to Guest network, not to main network?
2021-07-22 18:25:59

@TP-Link 

Hi, Thanks very much. I've sent the log and the following info through the contact form on Deco app.

When guest network is active, HP laser printer, attached by ethernet cable through two Netgear switches, is connected to guest network & is assigned a valid IP address by X90 router. However, printer is only accessible by devices connected to guest network, not by those connected to Home network. Also printer does not appear in Deco App’s list of attached devices for either guest or home network. The printer does appear in list of connected devices when guest network is scanned by IP Scanner app.

When guest network is inactive (turned off, Deco X90s rebooted) printer does not connect to the Home network. It is not assigned an IP by router (printer displays a self-assigned IP address) and does not appear in either the Deco app or IP Scanner app. In attempting to remedy situation I have also rebooted printer and switch when rebooting X90s.

The Sonos speaker responded similarly, though I’ve focused effort primarily on printer so am less certain of specifics of situation with Sonos speaker.

The network topology consists of an Xfinity modem connected to primary X90 with three additional X90s connected to primary through ethernet cables  and Netgear switches. There are approximately 50 devices (plus or minus 20) connected at any one time. The majority of devices connect wirelessly.

Options
2021-07-23 02:58:11

@Tatsuo 

Hi, thanks for the update.

I think your current issue might be related to the VLAN settings on the Netgear switches.

The default VLAN for the guest network is VLAN 591.

Maybe there has been the same VLAN group on the switch.

For more details, please have a look at this link:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2317/

Options