Only the Advanced and Manager features show up on the Deco app

Only the Advanced and Manager features show up on the Deco app

22 Reply
Re:[Solution] Only the Advanced and Manager features show up on the Deco app
2021-10-25 08:41:46

@TP-Link  I am sure this problem started after last firmware update

Is it possible to push the firmware again?

Options
2021-10-26 10:36:18

@Hansrunner 

Hi, would a reboot/restart fix the issue?

I am afraid the firmware might not be the problem since I also receive feedback on other models.

Options
2021-10-26 10:44:01

@TP-Link 

Hi, no I have tried that several times.

Options
2021-10-26 11:00:22

@Hansrunner 

In this way, are you able to send the APP log to us?

Deco APP>Overview>settings on the left>help>contact us>suggestions and add the system log and send it to us.

Please also add a picture of the “More” page on your APP.

Thank you.

Options
2021-10-26 11:29:13
Done
Options
2021-11-24 14:12:59

@TP-Link I hade the same problem with Deco M4 with an older firmware. I only saw Advanced and Manager in More options. I disconnected all Decos, did a reset on the main one, and when it connected with the APP everything showed up again in More. I did a reset to the other 2 Deco M4's, and now everything is working again perfectly. I also updated the firmware on all Decos and all seems fine now.

Options
2021-12-06 22:13:28

@TP-Link For the past several months I can no longer access any features for managing the Deco S4 mesh devices. I have it operating in AP mode. When In the app when I select More > Advanced all I now have is:

Notifications

Enabled

Tapping on that only yields the following with switches for on and off:

Update Firmware

Monthly Report

Promotional Messages

What's dumb here is despite the fact that I have it in AP mode your Deco app under More is bannered with "ROUTER SETTINGS" at the top. Next item down is "MORE SETTINGS" and just Managers which is 100% not helpful nor what I need.

So what cannot I not do? Now I have to go from pure memory:

1. I cannot switch the mode at all. So if I wanted to go back to router mode, I cannot, because the option in the app does not exist. Not that I will use your product as a router because it is too basic.
  2. I cannot get a network QR code (previously only was able to do it for only the main network, but, cannot do it now at all
  3. No ability to update the firmware any longer.
  4. No ability to check for firmware upgrades.
  5. No ability to see the current firmware version.
  6. There are literally no other options for advanced like there used to be.

Android Deco app version: 2.10.3

Firmware version (pulled from web interface not from the app since the app will not provide this basic information any longer): 1.4.3 Build 20200918 Rel. 77820

Attempting to check for firmware upgrades via the web interface also does not work, bravo.

You do realize that the audience that you target with this product are generally not techically capable enough (not their fault either) to look for a web interface in the first place right? So, if any of them are in my situation and all they see is what they see and can interact with via the Deco app they have no recourse. The general home user has no clue how to pull the set of connected devices to their home network from their home network in order to discover IP addresses; much less would it generally occur to them to try plugging into a web browser any of those IP addresses for one of the deco units (and if it did, would they think to try each one of them until they saw that there is a slightly different web UI for the master unit? I doubt it). Again, not their fault, this is just the nature of the audience being targeted.

I see some new firmware available  on the support section of your site (wow, took you guys almost a year and your release notes indicate barely anything interesting or vastly improved, good job there). Also it is disturbing that this most recent firmware cannot be downgraded (and, generally this is the case in the software world for major version changes which tend to be breaking changes but I see zero indication that this firmware release is a major version bump: S4 2.0_en_1.5.0 Build 20210607 Rel. 56436_US_EU_AU_JP_up.bin - see that, it is a minor version bump as in 1.5.0 from 1.4.3). Yes, I can of course flash that to my Deco S4's over the web interface. But again, if your audience of customers are not technologically inclined enough to know how to do this then again they have no recourse. 

Do not bother to suggest power cycling any of my Deco S4 units. This is not option.

You need to seriously fix your firmware and your app. I have submitted in the past to you guys many tickets and you basically disposition all of them as you won't address. This is the first, and last, TP-Link anything device I ever buy. I expected better. Don't worry, your product solution will soon enough be replaced with a solution set from Ubiquiti Networks and I'll just sell these existing Deco S4 units (or, just trash them).

Options
2021-12-07 02:03:36

@dev_null 

Hi, welcome back to the community.

We always try to optimize the Deco APP version and software to fix different kinds of issues reported by our users.

With the release of the new app and firmware, you can see there is less feedback about this issue.

And with no doubt, there would be some users who still suffered from this problem and we would love to provide any assistance.

As for the firmware upgrade, you are right and it is inconvenient if customers have to update the firmware via web UI not directly via Deco APP.

But there is always an exception that some users just cannot receive the new firmware notification for unknown reasons.

Back to your case, since it is almost a year since your last post and I could not find any ticket record in our system, It would be highly appreciated if you could spend a little more time with us.

If that is acceptable for you, I hope you could do the following things for me:

1. please still try to update the firmware to be 1.5.0 first.

Deco S4(US)_V2_210607

How to Update the Firmware of Deco

2. if most of the features were still missing, please go to Deco APP>Overview>three lines on the top>help>contact us>suggestions and add APP log.

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Options
2021-12-07 04:08:34

@TP-Link I gave up with the tickets and moved on. Regardless, I will try the 1.5.x firmware during a maintenance window for my infrastructure and post back here on my results. What concerns me the most is how features literally disappeared for now apparent reason. I'll pull logs anyway just because I can.

Options
2021-12-08 07:29:59

@TP-Link I have send you a log on the same day ,but no reaction

Options
Related Articles