TD-W8961N WDS problem/doubt

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-26 21:19:28
Model: TD-W8961N  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 150630

I have set up the router to work as a WiFi extender/retransmitter of my main router (Comtrend VR-3031U). I have made all the configurations, input WDS MAC and password, disabled DHCP. However, because I disabled DHCP, it is not possible to connect to the modem via WiFi, it simply does not assign an IP address to the device. Am I getting it wrong or what?

Thanks in advance.

Options
3 Reply
Re:TD-W8961N WDS problem/doubt
2021-07-27 07:20:28

@Gabriel13 

Judging by this behavior, I would suggest that the WDS hasn't been built successfully - hence you're not receiving an IP address via TD-W8961N's Wi-Fi.

" ... you can go to Advanced > Status > Wireless to check the WDS status. When the WDS status is Run, it means WDS bridging is successfully built. "

Did you use this guide for configuring WDS on your device ?

"

In order to build a successful WDS connection between different devices, it requires that both devices usethe same wireless MAC address format.For example,Site A uses 4-address MAC Address format in passive WDS bridge mode,Site B also uses 4-address MAC Address format in active WDS bridge mode.
WDS may be incompatible between different products (even occasionally from the same vendor) since the IEEE 802.11-1999 standard does not define how to construct any such implementations or how stations interact to arrange for exchanging frames of this format.-----From Wikipedia

"

One way to prove this is to test building WDS with another main router (not the Comtrend VR-3031U).

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-07-27 17:17:35

@terziyski

Thank you for you reply. I have set up everything according to the tutorial indeed. What I found weird is that my main router (Comtrend) does not require any password to allow other router to repeat its signal, it can only "Enable or Disable Wireless Bridge", as in the image below:

I have Disabled the restriction, as it advises, and it did not work. I have also tried to Enable(Scan) and selected the TP-LINK router, it did not work either.

I guess it has something to do with the WDS password. I wonder if there is a way for me to do this WITHOUT having to set a password, because the main router (Comtrend) does not have any place to input a WDS main password.

Is there a way to troubleshoot, to check wheter the TP-LINK router is being able to connect to the Comtrend?

Thank you.

Options
2021-07-27 18:30:28 - last edited 2021-07-27 18:34:12

@Gabriel13 

By WDS password I presume you're referring to the WDS Key from the guide I posted.

That's the peculiar thing there - usually for TP-Link devices with FW from that time period this guide is used.

And there's clearly stated that:

" 3.WDS bridging only requires the WDS setting on either the root router or the extended router. "

Based on the web interface and guide difference I suspect that you won't be able to build a WDS with the Comtrend device.

Regarding troubleshooting:

In the original guide (my previous post) at the end it is shown a simple ping test from a Windows client to the main and extended router.

In general the indication for successful WDS building is :

" ... you can go to Advanced > Status > Wireless to check the WDS status. When the WDS status is Run, it means WDS bridging is successfully built. "

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 624

Replies: 3