Connect two PoE switches together

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-28 10:05:31
Model: TL-SF1006P  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have two PoE switches that I want to connect. As I understand 100m is no problem, just connect as usual. But can you use the extend mode on TP-Links switches to connect two switches together up to 200m+? The ads and product page only shows that you can extend each PoE to a camera or other PoE-device up to 250m.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Connect two PoE switches together
2021-07-28 15:17:45

@eriklanden 

Hey

No sadly not, its specific technology for IP Cameras

Basically it turns the network speed down to 10mbps in an attempt to favor distance and stability over speed.     While 10mbps is acceptable for cameras, its REALLY slow in real terms and even if a switch worked at that distance, its unlikely to be usable for anything.

If you need distance between 2 switches over 200m, and you have line of sight you should look at the CPE510 or similar.  Two of these can transmit 300mbps over that distance with ease, attach your switches to each side and use the CPE510 to send traffic the distance you need

Options
2021-07-28 16:39:30

@Philbert 
Thanks for fast reply! I tried connecting my TL-SF1006P to a non PoE-switch with a 200m cable and all seems to work fine. We are planning on live-stream an MTB event so a lot of trees and bushes in the way, might just put a switch every 100m then. Or is it safe to extend the cable to x2 the limit, I figure if it works it works. This is the setup!

Options
2021-07-28 17:49:57

@eriklanden 

It may well work but I would check the switch on the end of the 200m run for errors or lost packets.   The max recommended distance of ethernet is 100m, you can go longer but you risk loss / degradation of the signal

If you can stick at cheap switch at the mid-point, then yeah would recommend that :)

Options
2021-07-28 19:40:25

@Philbert 

I did some calculations that a 20 000mh battery bank would run a TP-Link 5-port Gigabit (5 volt 0.6a) switch for well over a day, so yes! A switch it is!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2047

Replies: 4