Archer VR2800 (ac2800) and Zyxel 4g outdoor router - connection issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-02 16:47:52
Model: Archer VR2800  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 0.5.0 0.9.1 v006c.0 Build 200710 Beta.50656n

I use the TP-link VR2800 as my main DSL router.

as my broadband is intermittent, I have bought a Zyxel LTE7480 outdoor router/antenna and want to connect this to the TP-LINK.

I want to keep the TP-Link as my main router and have therefor DHCP activated there and have switched it off on the Zyxel. 

I have given the xyzel a fixed IP of 192.168.1.10 and switched on ip-passthrough (seems to be the equivalent of bridge mode in order to avoid a double nat issue when it is on router mode?)

Not sure what to do at the TP-Link side

no matter if i leave it in mode 1 (DSL router mode) or mode 2 Wifi router mode) or when I connect the zyxel to the WAN or LAN port on the TP-Link, i cannot get this to work.

Would anyone be willing to give my advice to get this going?

What I wnat is to be able to plug in my DSLwhen it works but have my zyxel as a back up. Even better would be if both could be connected and perhaps the DSL connection bound to a single lan port out. (as I have seperate guest accomodation which would then be served by that).

I have now tried almost everything but have to stop fiddeling each time my guests are back or when my wife goes online for work...

I did get the 4g router working through the tp-link a few times but for some odd reason not everything worked correctly over wifi (but ethernet connection -seemed to -orked ok)

summary of setup:

TP-link VR2800 in house connected to BT DSL

a couple of RE650 around the house to extend (shame no mesh)

Also a switch connected to ethernet sockets around the house.

In the guest accomodation I have an Archer C58 with a guest Wifi ssid setup.with a LAN cable connecting the wto archers via LAN ports

Hope some one can help, after hours of youtube and google, I am at a loss.

many thanks!

Jaap

Options
7 Reply
Re:Archer VR2800 (ac2800) and Zyxel 4g outdoor router - connection issues
2021-08-02 22:41:51 - last edited 2021-08-02 22:50:47

@JM98 

The only option you have in that regard is in your device user guide - Chapter 8.4. and 8.4.1, but for that purpose you'll have to use a 3G/4G USB modem.

To be able to switch between BT DSL and Zyxel you'll have to re-configure and re-cable the VR2800 every time - It can't be done automatically without additional hardware.

To be able to switch to Zyxel internet you'll have to configure the Zyxel in IP Passthough mode (avoiding double NAT) and connect it to the LAN4/WAN port of your VR2800, while the VR2800 is set in Wireless Router Mode.

When you want to use your BT DSL, unplug the Zyxel from LAN4/WAN port of VR2800 and switch it back in DSL Modem Router Mode.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-08-03 18:17:16

@terziyski that solution would work for me for the moment.. is there anything else i need to do (i have already allocated192.168.1.10 to the xyzel and the tp-link dhcp range is 192.168.1.100 10 254.

It does not seem to work for me at the moment..

Options
2021-08-03 21:06:20 - last edited 2021-08-03 21:27:19

@JM98 

The idea here is with IP Passthrough configured to transfer the public IP address from Zyxel device to your VR2800 LAN4/WAN port (VR2800 in WIreless Router Mode).

That means VR2800 LAN4/WAN port configuration should be Dynamic IP so the VR2800 can receive the public IP address from the Zyxel.

According to your Zyxel user guide - Chapter 6.10:

https://download.zyxel.com/LTE7480-M804/user_guide/LTE7480-M804_1.00.pdf

On Zyxel I would suggest to use IP Passthrough mode - Dynamic and connect the VR 2800 LAN4/WAN port to the Zyxel ethernet port.

Zyxel LAN IP address could be 192.168.1.1 (for example)

Zyxel DHCP server could be 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.199 (for example)

These won't matter when the IP Passthrough is activated - that's what I am understading when reading Zyxel's user guide.

VR2800 IP address could be 192.168.1.1 (for example)

VR2800 DHCP server could be 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.199 (for example).

You may need to rebooot both devices when IP Passtrough is activated so the setting would take effect.

Try to test this scenario, cause otherwise without IP Passthrough activated, a double NAT would be introduced in your LAN.

Also you can do some research or ask in the Zyxel community for an additional guidance.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-08-04 08:18:12

@terziyski many thanks. just one thing - why should i have the same ip for tp-link the main router and the zycel.

at the moment i have tp on 192.168.1.1 and have put the zyxel on ...10. as you said it doesnt matter but to access the admin panel for both, should they not be different?
thank you!

Options
2021-08-04 08:23:28 - last edited 2021-08-04 08:30:44

@JM98 

Your remark does make sense. It's just I'm not sure how the Zyxel will behave with IP Passthrough activated.

Keep it like it is - 192.168.1.10 and test.

Options
2021-08-06 09:27:44

@terziyski Thanks, tried taht and no luck.

In fact I had to factory reset to get the DSL back up for my guests afetr going down a rabbit hole and losing track of alllthe tweaking..

Just a quick backgrounder:
First, I wanted to build a solar powered 4g setup in a field and beam it to the house. After looking into the details I decided against this and put my name down for Starlink(reluctantly as expensive).
Now, being at the house, it turns out a temporary 4g mast has been erected with a wayleave for a few weeks. (EE). cynics mumble this may have to do with the fact that the BT CEO has a holiday home very close to it..
I have therefor bought the Zyxel LTE 7480 outdoor router and hope that a permanent mast will come (in which case I will drop Starlink and go for some unlimited package later).
On the other side of my location a O2/Vodaphone mast has been put up but has not been switched on. It is a mile away and not direct line of site so no idea whether I will get a signal when it does get switched on.

I am getting around 55 down 17 up with a ping of 32 having the antenna inside. when testing outside we managed 95 to 160 down so I hopeful.

When it comes to trying to connect to my current setup, I am having trouble. As I have people renting accommodation and my wife working online, i need to test at times when neither are using - a challenge.

Yesterday nothing would work, and had to factory reset the TPLink to ensure the BT DSL would get up and running.
I am a bit lost here -thought I was tech savvy but apparently when it comes to networking not so much!

Oddly, when connecting the zyxel to the tplink in its LAN port, I get an internet connection via direct wifi but not on any lan connectors (or repeaters connected via LAN.

I have tried both DSL modem mode and WIFI router mode (not 4g router mode as that is for usb dongles as I understand).
I have also tried to activate IP Passthrough on the zyxel as I think that bypasses the NAT (and deactivates its router mode)..

I will need to try and find a decent guide somewhere because I think I am at a dead end a bit!

Options
2021-08-06 10:07:40 - last edited 2021-08-06 10:38:39

@JM98 

As I understand a tough place to bring an Internet connectivity.

I forgot to suggest that you could make a device current configuration backup, once when in DSL Modem Router Mode and once when in Wireless Router Mode.

Thus when you switch between two modes you can easily get back your current VR2800 configuration:.

What was the VR2800 WAN port IP address when you've activated the Zyxel IP Passthrough feature, was it your public IP address or not ?

Zyxel should be connected exactly in LAN4/WAN port, when VR2800 is in Wireless Router Mode, to be able to pass its public IP address to the VR2800 LAN4/WAN port.

In this case you can use only LAN1-LAN3 for cable connections and VR2800 Wi-Fi for wireless.

You can test also leaving the IP Passthrough disabled if former doesn't work.

That way the VR2800 LAN4/WAN port will receive a Private IP address - you'll have a double NAT in your network, but you still will have an Internet connectivity.

Unfortunately I can't be much of a help with the Zyxel device, except interpreting its user guide.

As I pointed earlier, you have to search for help in the Zyxel's community forum.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1100

Replies: 7