AX1800 Deco X20 no internet connection on 2.4 Ghz band

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-03 00:04:47
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.9

I recently purchased the AX1800 Deco X20 mesh system with two nodes, i'm running it in router mode with fast roaming disabled, there are no blacklisted devices and I am able to connect to the 5 Ghz band and access the internet. However when I set up a guest network locked to the 2.4 Ghz band and the various different security options to try and connect a few devices I have that will only work in that band I get no internet access at all. Is the unit fault or are there some settings i'm missing that need adjusting to enable internet connectivity through the 2.4 Ghz band? 

Options
5 Reply
Re:AX1800 Deco X20 no internet connection on 2.4 Ghz band
2021-08-03 03:33:40

@Steve_A_C 

Hi, have you ever tried to set up a separate DNS server under the Deco APP>More>advanced>DHCP?

I have seen a case that the user used the IP address of the Raspberry Pi-Hole as the customized the DNS server to block ads and the guest device blocked the Pi-Hole DNS server so it failed to resolve the DNS request since Pi-hole is a host device.

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-08-03 08:46:41

@TP-Link 

Currently I haven't set a DNS but I did try troubleshooting by pointing it at Google's public DNS 8.8.8.8 with 8.8.4.4 as the secondary. But my personal and work laptops have 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz drivers and I can connect to the internet via the 5Ghz main network but not the 2.4 GHz guest network or the main network when I turn off 5GHz so I'm not sure it's a DNS issue if it works on the 5GHz band?

Many thanks

Options
2021-08-04 07:45:11

@Steve_A_C 

Hi, could you please confirm the following details?

1. At the beginning, the host network has both 5ghz and 2.4ghz enabled, and the guest network is locked to 2.4ghz only?

2.The mobile devices you have that supported 2.4ghz only, connected to the 2.4ghz guest, but no internet service?

3.The two laptops with both 5ghz and 2.4ghz driver supported, could connect to the guest network 2.4ghz, or host network(when 5Ghz is off, only 2.4ghz), but no internet service either?

4. The DNS server under DHCP is blank by default and you have tried 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4, but it did not fix the above issue?

If yes, may I know the IP address on the laptop when it is connected to the 2.4g guest?

Are you able to ping the LAN IP of Deco and Google DNS?

(Some pictures about the above test would be appreciated.)

By the way, did this issue start since you bought the Deco X20 kit?

Options
2021-08-05 23:50:20

@TP-Link 

To your points listed above:

1. this was the correct set up yes.

2.Yes the devices could connect to the wifi but there was no internet.

3. This is correct yes i could connect on the laptop on both the 2.5 and 5 Ghz bands i set up but only had internet connection on the 5 GHz. 

4. yes the DNS sever was blank but changing to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 didn't rectify the issue.

I could only ping those IPs when connected to the 5 GHz band but not the 2.4 GHz band and i assume the issue was present form when i set it up but it took me a few days to notice the 2.4 Ghz devices wern't working as intended as we went away for the weekend.

I tried reverting the Virgin media hub back to a router and running them in access point mode but no joy with this either I had to connect directly to the router to get the 2.4 Ghz devices working. In the end I have returned the devices to amazon and have opted for a different setup which is now working.

Options
2021-08-06 01:03:17

@Steve_A_C 

Hi, Steve,

Did you mean that you have got a new kit of Deco X20, now it is working?

If not, our engineers are quite interested in your case, would like to invite you for further assistance.

Thank you very much.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1318

Replies: 5

Related Articles