RE605X to create a wireless access point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-06 00:52:44 - last edited 2021-08-10 12:21:57
Model: RE605X  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a TP-Link Archer VR2100 and I am looking to buy a RE605X to create a wireless access point.
Before I buy the RE605X I would like to check it will work exactly as I expect.

I have a home office with an Ethernet port connected to the VR2100.
The webpage https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/range-extender/re605x/ says "RE605X is more than a wireless range extender. Simply plug an Ethernet cable into its Ethernet port, and easily turn your wired internet connection into a 2×2 MU-MIMO dual band wireless access point."
So I take it I connect the home office Ethernet port to RE605X Ethernet port with an RJ45 this creates the wireless access point served by the VR2100 over Ethernet.
My questions are:

Will the OneMesh still work using the RE605X as a wireless access point?
Will I retain the same IP address if I move from my home office to an area served by the wi-fi direct from the VR2100?
Will I be able to connect to devices e.g. a printer connected to the wi-fi of the
RE605X from a device connected to the wi-fi of the VR2100 and vice-versa?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:RE605X to create a wireless access point-Solution
2021-08-09 08:01:58 - last edited 2021-08-10 12:21:57

@dan-dev Hello, 

Thank you for being interested in tp-link products. 

# Currently, AP mode does not oneMesh. You may consider oneMesh compatible Powerline devices if your house is in the same power cicuit to build oneMesh through wire & powerline:https://www.tp-link.com/onemesh/compatibility/ 

Will I retain the same IP address if I move from my home office to an area served by the wi-fi direct from the VR2100?

# Router is the DHCP server, so devices connected to RE also get IP address from router and in the same subnet as local network.

But when the device switch from RE's WiFi to router WIFi or vice versa, the IP address could change to a different  one, and it requires to manually set up a static IP on your device if you want device always use the same IP.

Will I be able to connect to devices e.g. a printer connected to the wi-fi of the RE605X from a device connected to the wi-fi of the VR2100 and vice-versa?

# devices connected to router and devices connected to RE , they all get IP address from main router and work in the same subnet, and they could talk to each other.

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:RE605X to create a wireless access point-Solution
2021-08-09 08:01:58 - last edited 2021-08-10 12:21:57

@dan-dev Hello, 

Thank you for being interested in tp-link products. 

# Currently, AP mode does not oneMesh. You may consider oneMesh compatible Powerline devices if your house is in the same power cicuit to build oneMesh through wire & powerline:https://www.tp-link.com/onemesh/compatibility/ 

Will I retain the same IP address if I move from my home office to an area served by the wi-fi direct from the VR2100?

# Router is the DHCP server, so devices connected to RE also get IP address from router and in the same subnet as local network.

But when the device switch from RE's WiFi to router WIFi or vice versa, the IP address could change to a different  one, and it requires to manually set up a static IP on your device if you want device always use the same IP.

Will I be able to connect to devices e.g. a printer connected to the wi-fi of the RE605X from a device connected to the wi-fi of the VR2100 and vice-versa?

# devices connected to router and devices connected to RE , they all get IP address from main router and work in the same subnet, and they could talk to each other.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1177

Replies: 1