Enabling QoS in VR600 removes bufferbloat

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-11 15:33:41
Model: Archer VR600  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 0.2.0 0.9.1 v0074.0 Build 210318 Beta.38701n

Some good news I think.  After running speed test at DSL reports (https://dslreports.com/speedtest), I noted that the results showed a very poor score for "bufferbloat", particularly relating to uploads - the reports graded my bufferbloat as D. I had started to research alternative firmware (with no luck - VDSL routers are not well supported by DD-WRT and the like) when I thought to check the VR600 QoS settings. I had played with this before to try and ensure a good experience for my gamer son - but given up and left it disabled.

Today I thought I'd give it a try again.  I know that the connection I have is limited to around 39 MBps donw and 6 MBps up so I set these in the upload and download fields.  I then enabled the QoS.

The result for subsequent tests was that the buffer bloat reading was A.  Result.  I thought I would share this here so others might try it out.

There is very little documentation of the TP-Link routers' implemention of QoS beyond what is seen in the UI and "how to" documentation that just says how to turn it on or off.  I would love to know if the VR600 and its kin support any form of Smart Queue Management (SQM) and if enabling QoS enables SQM.

I will observe to see whether there is any noticable effect on my experience and whether speed test results continue to be better than before - and report back here.

* Read more about bufferbloat at www.bufferbloat.net

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 788

Replies: 0