X90 Deco satellite keep turning red and disconnecting device despite ethernet backhaul

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

X90 Deco satellite keep turning red and disconnecting device despite ethernet backhaul

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-14 18:14:42 - last edited 2021-08-14 18:22:41
Model: Deco X90  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.0

Hello,

My Decos are running in access point mode. With smart DHCP turned off, fast roaming enabled nd beam forming disabled. Smart DHCP is turned off. These decos are running as a access points positioned at other ends of the house with an Ethernet backhaul, plugged directly into the Ethernet wall sockets. These wall sockets are in turn connected directly to the main switch for the whole house.

This main switch is itself, hooked up to our router (a tri band Linksys velop with 4 other nodes). We wish  to maintain both networks, and since I have use the Linksys smart WiFi online features I would prefer to keep these running. I have ruled out channel interference, running channel finder on both the Deco system and the Velop system. 

I have the decos using a static IP to connect to the internet so it connects to the network like any other client (I had it setup as a router before switching it to access point mode immediately after initial setup). 

I noticed that the satellite deco frequently disconnects from the internet, and I cannot access the deco software while connected directly to my main WiFi network (that the deco's run off of). In addition, when next to the main deco, I've found that many devices do not seem to want to stay connected to the network and get frequently booted off. 

Options
5 Reply
Re:X90 Deco satellite keep turning red and disconnecting device despite ethernet backhaul
2021-08-15 00:00:55 - last edited 2021-08-15 00:01:22

@Pal54 

If I to speculate, I'll say that Ethernet backhaul protocol Deco uses conflicts with Velop Ethernet backhaul.

That would be easy to test: remove temporarily all Velop units from your home network, including main unit, and see if Deco mesh becomes stable.

Options
Re:X90 Deco satellite keep turning red and disconnecting device despite ethernet backhaul
2021-08-15 17:03:02

Thank you @Alexandre. 

I'll give it a go tomorrow and report back. It's my understanding though that both the velops should only be operating as access points and since theyre connected to the switch through the wall port, would the deco's still use "ethernet backhaul" in the traditional sense?

I also read up that D-Link switches may be blocking packets? But that was an anecdotal post so I wasnt sure if this was still a thing. Would you have any info on that?

Options
2021-08-15 19:12:20

@Pal54 

If you have D-Link switch, it might not be compatible with Deco mesh using Ethernet backhaul. You can find more info on that topic here: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco.

Scroll down to FAQ section of that article, it is where D-Link switches are discussed.

Options
2021-08-16 02:50:51

@Pal54 

Hi, is your network map like:

2*Deco X90 and 4*Velop satellite units are all wired to the main Velop router via the main switch.

And I am also quite interested in the test result about removing all the Velop units and leaving Deco X90 only? Would the Deco Mesh get much stable?

When the satellite unit turned red, how did you recover the connection, rebooting this Deco?

Options
2021-08-18 12:24:12

@TP-Link 

Had some major packet loss issues over the last few days and decided to switch the velops and the decos. Here is the new network topology. As for stability, will need to test over the next few days. The system is now on mostly ethernet backhaul through a new switch and is confirmed so on the app. Hopefully this solves the issue.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 911

Replies: 6

Related Articles