How to use existing WIFi in AP mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-15 14:07:05 - last edited 2021-08-16 02:34:34
Model: Deco E4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

How can I use my standard Wifi network when running Deco E4 in access point mode?

I was able to set up A separate network connecting my deco to the router, and then I switched to AP mode in the settings. As soon as I disconnect from the router, however, Deco E4 no longer has internet connection.

How can I Make it communicate with my existing network?

I don't want to run deco as a 2nd router but merely as Wifi repeater and access point for my TV.

Options
2 Reply
Re:How to use existing WIFi in AP mode
2021-08-17 07:20:58

@MonicaB 

Hi, the main Deco E4 needs to be wired to the ISP modem router all the time(even in AP mode) and it seemed like you have disconnected the cable after setup?

Or if you just want a wireless range extender, the product here might be more suitable:

https://www.tp-link.com/home-networking/range-extender/

Options
Re:How to use existing WIFi in AP mode
2021-08-18 20:00:03

@TP-Link : I bought the Deco 4 because it had two ethernet connections and I wanted to run a home cloud, too. So what I had to do now is run one Deco as a new router and use the other two Decos as access points. It seems a bit of an energy waste to run my normal modem plus one Deco side by side, but this is apparently my only option.

TP-Link wrote

@MonicaB 

Hi, the main Deco E4 needs to be wired to the ISP modem router all the time(even in AP mode) and it seemed like you have disconnected the cable after setup?

Or if you just want a wireless range extender, the product here might be more suitable:

https://www.tp-link.com/home-networking/range-extender/

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 481

Replies: 2

Related Articles