USB Cable Boost Adapter

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

USB Cable Boost Adapter

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
USB Cable Boost Adapter
USB Cable Boost Adapter
2021-08-20 16:31:26 - last edited 2021-08-22 03:59:09
Model: TL-MR6400  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.6.0 0.9.1 v0001.0 Build 181022 Rel.40644n

Hello! I would liek to ask if I can use a 5v-9v usb cable adapter to my tplink mr6400 then connect it to a powerbank so that I can still use it even if there's no electricity? 

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:USB Cable Boost Adapter-Solution
2021-08-21 21:02:33 - last edited 2021-08-22 03:59:09

@MishchievousDen 

The rating of that USB adapter is a bit deceiving. If the maximum input current is 1A, then by converting from 5V to 9V the theoretical maximum output current would be 0.55A. If we assume the USB voltage conversion adapter has an efficiency of maybe 80%, then the usable output current would be a maximum of 0.45A at 9V.

That's not to say the router wouldn't be able operate with that USB voltage conversion adapter, but it might be right on the edge and the stability of the router could be affected. You definitely shouldn't attempt to perform firmware updates on the router while it's powered by that USB adapter, because a drop out during the process could easily brick the router.

Also, some components of the USB voltage conversion adapter could get very hot if it's constantly working at its limit.

As for the plugs. You will have to compare them by yourself to the plug on the original power adapter. 
On another TP-Link router that I have here with me the plug's outer diameter is 5.5mm and the hole is about 2mm.

By the way, I recommend you use a multimeter and measure the output voltage on the plug of the original power adapter and compare its polarity (+/-) to that on the plug of your USB voltage conversion adapter.

In the majority of cases the center pin/hole has positive polarity and the outside is negative, but in my life I have come across a couple of plugs where the polarity was the other way around, so it is always good to verify this.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-09-02 08:20:02 - last edited 2021-09-04 16:26:09

@MishchievousDen 

In case you are still looking to buy one of those USB voltage booster adapters, I can now recommend that particular model with the red LED voltage indicator, which seems to be quite popular with sellers on the Internet. In a test with another router model (with 12V power supply) it was able to handle in excess of 12 Watt of input power and also didn't get too warm in the process. Therefore it should be able to power the less power hungry TL-MR6400 with ease.

By the way, if you were to buy such a type of USB booster adapter which is switchable between 9V and 12V and the voltage you need is 9V, then you might want to do something to fix the voltage selector switch in place, to prevent it from accidentally being switched to 12V while it's in operation. 

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:USB Cable Boost Adapter
2021-08-21 13:16:20

@MishchievousDen 

If your TL-MR6400 requires a supply voltage of 9V DC, then you can power it with any power source that supplies 9V DC and sufficient current.

Do you know the rating for the maximum sustained output current (A or mA) of your usb cable adapter?

Options
2021-08-21 18:01:05

@woozle 

Yes, it's power supply is 9V ~ 0.85A

The usb adapters input is 0.8 ~ 1A and the output is 700mA - 1000mA. Is the usb adapter compatible to my modem?

And I also would like to ask on which of these 3 to choose? I dont know which of these 3 is the exact cord.

Options
2021-08-21 21:02:33 - last edited 2021-08-22 03:59:09

@MishchievousDen 

The rating of that USB adapter is a bit deceiving. If the maximum input current is 1A, then by converting from 5V to 9V the theoretical maximum output current would be 0.55A. If we assume the USB voltage conversion adapter has an efficiency of maybe 80%, then the usable output current would be a maximum of 0.45A at 9V.

That's not to say the router wouldn't be able operate with that USB voltage conversion adapter, but it might be right on the edge and the stability of the router could be affected. You definitely shouldn't attempt to perform firmware updates on the router while it's powered by that USB adapter, because a drop out during the process could easily brick the router.

Also, some components of the USB voltage conversion adapter could get very hot if it's constantly working at its limit.

As for the plugs. You will have to compare them by yourself to the plug on the original power adapter. 
On another TP-Link router that I have here with me the plug's outer diameter is 5.5mm and the hole is about 2mm.

By the way, I recommend you use a multimeter and measure the output voltage on the plug of the original power adapter and compare its polarity (+/-) to that on the plug of your USB voltage conversion adapter.

In the majority of cases the center pin/hole has positive polarity and the outside is negative, but in my life I have come across a couple of plugs where the polarity was the other way around, so it is always good to verify this.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-08-22 04:17:57

@woozle 

Thank you so much! I really have no idea about this and I'm really glad that you taught me about this. Really appreciate it! 

I found another product online that matches the description that you give. How about this?

​​​​​Yes, I also saw a comment on the product that it gets hot when they use it. But for me, I'll only use it during blackout. Not as my main adapter. Is it still okay to use it?

Really had no idea about the multimeter. And I honestly dont know about the +/- that you're talking on the last paragraph. My bad. So sorry.

Options
2021-08-23 15:27:11

@MishchievousDen 

If you are going to buy a new USB Voltage Boost Adapter (sorry, but I originally thought you already have the one you mentioned and you just weren't sure if you can use it), then you should better look for one that at least meets or even exceeds the current output specification of the power adapter that came with the router, the 0.85A you've mentioned previously. Otherwise it's going to be trial and error.

Options
2021-09-02 08:20:02 - last edited 2021-09-04 16:26:09

@MishchievousDen 

In case you are still looking to buy one of those USB voltage booster adapters, I can now recommend that particular model with the red LED voltage indicator, which seems to be quite popular with sellers on the Internet. In a test with another router model (with 12V power supply) it was able to handle in excess of 12 Watt of input power and also didn't get too warm in the process. Therefore it should be able to power the less power hungry TL-MR6400 with ease.

By the way, if you were to buy such a type of USB booster adapter which is switchable between 9V and 12V and the voltage you need is 9V, then you might want to do something to fix the voltage selector switch in place, to prevent it from accidentally being switched to 12V while it's in operation. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-09-04 16:28:49

@woozle 

Thank you so much! I learned so much about these adapters thnks to you! Really appreciate your help! 

My only problem now is that I cant band lock on my tl mr6400(EU) V3. The internet speed is fluctuating and not stable

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 832

Replies: 7