X20 drops download speed shortly after connecting to ONT

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-27 17:32:02 - last edited 2021-09-01 01:52:42
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi there

im trying to connect the X20 straight to ONT box to see if it will remove any jitters from my router.  As soon as I connect and restart everything then I get great download speed of 400mbps but after a few minutes it drops to 1.95mbps.  Any advice on what may be happening?   Thanks. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:X20 drops download speed shortly after connecting to ONT-Solution
2021-08-30 08:27:10 - last edited 2021-09-01 01:52:42

@Jimmy_Krankie 

Hi, May I know who Is your internet service provider and was the Deco provided by the service provider?

If we kept the ISP router, connect Deco X20 behind the router, there would not be such a problem, right?

What is the internet connection type on the Deco X20 when it is connected to the ONT directly?

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:X20 drops download speed shortly after connecting to ONT-Solution
2021-08-30 08:27:10 - last edited 2021-09-01 01:52:42

@Jimmy_Krankie 

Hi, May I know who Is your internet service provider and was the Deco provided by the service provider?

If we kept the ISP router, connect Deco X20 behind the router, there would not be such a problem, right?

What is the internet connection type on the Deco X20 when it is connected to the ONT directly?

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:X20 drops download speed shortly after connecting to ONT
2021-09-01 01:48:53 - last edited 2021-09-01 01:54:42

@TP-Link Vodafone is the ISP and the X20's were supplied by them. Keeping the router helps with the speed but there are jitters which I think is due to the router being old.  I managed to connect the X20 direct to the ONT and this solved the jitters after a complete reboot. I have had great speed for a day and a half now but has dropped back down to 1.5mbps randomly.   

Options
2021-09-01 03:50:12

@Jimmy_Krankie 

Hi, How often would the speed suddenly drop to 1.5m/s?

And after It dropped to 1.5m/s, what did you do to restore the speed, like restarting the Deco or it would come back automatically?

By the way, how did you run the speed test, via speedtest on the Deco APP?

Options
2021-09-01 03:58:15 - last edited 2021-09-01 04:38:22

@TP-Link I haven't restarted it since I've had good speed for a long period but previously I deleted the network and rebooted the X20. I used speedtest from several devices. The speed using the deco app shows that the internet speed is still fast at over 900mbps but just not getting that on any device. 

Update: I've since removed to two other X20's, deleted the network and rebooted the one connected to the ONT and set it up again and it's fine however I don't want to be doing this regularly. 

Any advice appreciated on what causes it drop and how to avoid it would be appreciated.

Options
2021-09-02 07:27:28

@Jimmy_Krankie 

Hi, Currently, there is no suitable suggestion available since the final cause of the problem has not been located yet.

Here are some suggestions for you:

1. Enable the guest network for 2.4ghz only with a different SSID.

2. Leave the main network for 5ghz only.

3. separate your mobile devices into two groups: the devices used frequently and required higher bandwidth to the 5ghz, the smart home devices or less bandwidth required to the 2.4ghz.

A ticket [TKID210900569] has been created and later if the same issue started again, please feel free to update the ticket or the thread here.

Some information might be needed:

1. Some screenshots of the speedtest when speed dropped to 1.5m/s and please also check the link speed as well.

2. Would rebooting the Deco temporarily restore the speed?

3. What are the devices whose speed would drop from 400m/s to 1.5m/s?

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 609

Replies: 5