WhatsApp works through Parental Control

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-08-30 14:21:11
Model: Archer AX21  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

LS,

I recently noticed that even with a Parental Control "ON" during the period without internet, my daughter can still receive WhatsApp messages; I did test it.

Any reason this is hapening...? 

Options
7 Reply
Re:WhatsApp works through Parental Control
2021-08-30 16:24:23 - last edited 2021-08-30 16:25:14

@MNS-Online.net 

Hi,

Do you mean Internet access for things like web browser and all other Apps is successfully being blocked on her device and solely WhatsApp is somehow able to get Internet access?

Options
2021-08-30 16:30:37

@woozle Yes, internet access so during the no internet schedule, I tested browser, Instagram and ALL do not work because the internet is blocked. The wifi connection on my daughter mobile is connected, but no internet (display "Connected without internet") and WhatsApp message are going through.

No, she was not getting internet and yes, I had the device with me and did some tests and WhasApp works.

Options
2021-08-30 17:14:40 - last edited 2021-08-30 17:15:22

@MNS-Online.net 

I haven't heard anything in this regards about WhatsApp yet, but I know that Skype was once capable of getting around firewalls by using Skype clients on other non-blocked devices within the same network as a gateway, until Microsoft abandoned that protocol several years ago. If you are interested to know more, then google for Skype+supernodes.

Anyway, if you want to rule out that WhatsApp isn't maybe doing something similar, then do the following test. During your daughter's offline time temporarily take all other devices that are running WhatsApp (like yours, your wife's, etc.) off your home network and then check again if your daughter's WhatsApp still works.

Other than that, it could still be a flaw in the router's Parental Control. 

By the way, does your daughter's device have an active SIM card in it?

Options
2021-08-30 17:25:04

@woozle OK, I will try that tonight.

She does havean active SIM card with no data (plan).

Options
2021-10-13 13:48:45

@MNS-Online.net 

I think your doughter is using this WhatsApp Plus because this is a modified version of WhatsApp which allow user to use WhatsApp with it's amazing features.

Options
2021-10-13 16:24:25

@MNS-Online.net 

This could be as hard as block accessing TikTok from a mobile - see this thread.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2021-10-20 12:51:45

@xavier221 

I checked her and she's got the official WhatsApp from Googlle Pay Store.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1053

Replies: 7

Related Articles